Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

Ezra 3

Sitting in the backyard of my parents house on a fall Saturday afternoon can sometimes be a noisy experience. They are about 5 or 6 blocks from Boone Pickens Stadium. We can hear the roar of 60,000 people whenever something good or bad happens during the game. We know that OSU has scored whenever we hear the ROTC cannon fire and the band playing Oh, A&M. It is a noise of celebration that we like to hear. Do you celebrate the goodness and mercy of the Lord?

It had been 70 years since the first exile and about 54/55 years since the destruction of the temple. Hmm. . . as I write I am 55 years old. Had I been born when the temple was destroyed, I would have had no memory of the first temple. All my memories would have been only of the exile. I am sure my parents would probably have replayed again and again their memories of Jerusalem. To be able to return to live in Jerusalem as a free man would certainly have seemed like a dream. Yet God accomplished it in their lifetime. They were able to establish homes and return to Jerusalem for the feast of Tabernacles and then lay the foundation for the second temple. Surely this was a time for celebration! Indeed the Lord is good and his mercy is everlasting!

I was in exile from my Lord. My sin had alienated me from experiencing the pleasure of His presence. But He is good and His mercy is everlasting toward me. In His kindness He moved upon the heart of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ to deliver me from exile. He has brought me back to Himself. What a joy and cause for celebration that is!

When the people laid the foundation for the temple, they rejoiced, and it was heard far away. Their 70 year old dreams were being realized. With 42,000+ people assembled on the top of Jerusalem’s rocky temple mount, the sound of their celebration could be heard far away. God had scored an amazing touchdown in their nation! Should I not also celebrate upon my return from exile? He has scored an amazing touchdown in my life! Let the celebration of his goodness and mercy begin. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment