Monday, January 24, 2011

January 23, 2011

Nehemiah 13
Misplaced priorities will quickly lead me away from the glory of God. When the temple was built, it had store rooms on the side for all the things necessary for the continual carrying out of the sacrifices. The sacrifices were central to experiencing the glory of God. Grain offerings, frankincense, the articles used in the daily ministrations, the tithes of grain, the new wine and oil were all articles used by the priests and Levites to do the ministry and to support themselves while they did the daily sacrifices. The sacrifices all spoke of Jesus. They spoke of the cross and what Jesus would accomplish for us through the cross. Because of the cross we can have fellowship with God (grain, wine and oil). Because of the cross we can come boldly before the throne of God where our Great Intercessor dwells, and we can bring our prayers to Him (frankincense).
Eliashib, the priest, cleared the storeroom so that Tobiah could occupy it in some way. Now, Tobiah was one of the leaders of the enemies of the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem. Tobiah was an Ammonite. God had instructed Israel not to associate with the Ammonites. What is Eliashib doing? He replaces the materials for the daily sacrifice with the enemy of God! Because of the phrase, “Now before this,” in verse four, some have suggested that Eliashib had perhaps married a relative of Tobiah, and to preserve family unity was why he let Tobiah move in. Marrying people without listening to the instruction of God also demonstrates a lack of priorities.
So what is going on here? Clearly the sacrifice of Christ must be central in our lives, homes and churches. Paul wanted to know nothing among the Corinthians except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Do I make room in my life for things that should be reserved for Jesus? Do I bring movies (even wholesome ones) into my home when I have not first sought Him? Do I yield what should be reserved for Him to my spouse? Do I yield what should be reserved for him to my family? Do I yield what should be reserved for Jesus to my church? Do I yield what should be reserved to Jesus to His enemies? Those are hard and difficult questions, yet they are ones to which the cross-centered life demands an answer.
Jesus lovingly calls us to yield to Him. Nehemiah wasn’t as loving. He pulled out the offender’s beards. He demanded obedience. One solid reading of the book of Hebrews reveals that Jesus also demands obedience. Yes, He will never forsake us or leave us, but when we replace what should be reserved for Him, and we remain steadfast in that direction, then discipline is on the way. Hmm. . . I think I’d rather experience the loving side of Jesus. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment