Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15, 2011

Nehemiah 5
The call was a collect call from the county jail. A man to whom I had been ministering had been taken back to jail because he was accused of parole violations. He explained the situation that precipitated it. If he was speaking honestly, then he probably should not be in jail. I doubt that I was hearing the whole story. He wanted me to co-sign his bail bond. I asked how much it was. I quickly calculated that it was more than I could afford to give away if he were to not show up in court. There is a Biblical principle involved in loaning money or co-signing loans. If you can’t afford to pay it yourself, don’t co-sign. Similarly, if you can’t afford to pay it back, don’t borrow. If you can’t afford to give, don’t.
The children of Israel had been forgiven a great debt by the Lord. They had been returned to the land and given a great opportunity to make a new life for themselves. Yet they were forced into a situation by their brothers in the Lord where they had to borrow money in order to feed their families. Were their brothers from whom they borrowed showing the glory of their Lord when they lent and charged exorbitant interest? Were those who borrowed showing faith in the Lord when they borrowed? I think not. So what should have happened. Those who were able to give, should have given in such a way that it enabled their brothers to become dependent upon only the Lord. That is when His glory shines the most.
What did I do with the man who wanted me to sign? I gave to him in other ways. But in this way, I let him trust the Lord. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment