Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 25, 2011

Esther 2
I was having enough troubles of my own. My track record for handling conflict had not been all that great. I was fresh off of one problem. The principal of the school which met in our building walked into my office to explain a conflict problem that one of the teachers was having with one of the parents of the school. The parent had become so obsessive with the situation that he seemed to be stalking the teacher. All I needed was more trouble!
Mordecai did not need any more problems. He had taken into his home as his own daughter his cousin. Esther had been orphaned, and Mordecai had taken the responsibility to raise her. Esther was very beautiful. Every good father worries about the welfare of his daughter. Mordecai was no different with his cousin/adopted daughter. Now the king is looking for another beauty to add to his harem. If I were Mordecai, I think I would make my daughter go into hiding. But it was too late. Esther’s beauty was already well known. The beauty scouts found her. Mordecai strongly warned her, “Don’t let anyone know you are a Jew!” Why? First of all, they were a defeated people. They were brought to that area of the world by Nebuchadnezzar. They were second class citizens. If they knew her ethnicity, she would probably be abused rather than selected for the king.
What happened next? The text doesn’t say it, but it appears that God gave her favor with the eunuch in charge of the women who were selected. She was selected to be groomed as a possible replacement for Vashti. The 12 month course of preparation included 7 maidens to meet her needs and a room in the best part of the palace, not bad accommodations. God’s favor continued. She was eventually selected as queen.
But what about Mordecai? He daily walked as close to the king’s gate as he would be allowed, more trouble. While at the gate, he overhears a plot to kill the king. Mordecai reports it to the Esther. Certainly if the plot were successful, Esther would also be in danger of being killed. Unfortunately, his good deed was forgotten.
Where is God in the middle of trouble? Without the trouble we would never know of His great power. So where is the glory of God in all of this? He is seen in the midst of guiding us in trouble. When I encounter trouble in my life, it is opportunity for me to once again learn that He is the one who delivers us out of trouble. I began with my story of more trouble. God showed me once again that He delivers through trouble. I did not enjoy the rough time that we had. But I did learn that God delivers through trouble. God uses us even in times of trouble. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment