Friday, August 13, 2010

August 12, 2010

1 Samuel 2
“I smile at my enemies.” Only one who knows that he is completely surrounded by One who keeps him safe can truly say that. Usually when I am in the presence of an enemy I can feel the tension rising from my toes to my head. Smiling is almost impossible; unless it is performed as a psychological tool against my enemy. I don’t think the smiling in this context is performed as a psychological tool. It is the smile of one who knows she is secure in the care of the Almighty. When I force myself to come to the point where I recognize the care that He gives me, I too am able to smile at my enemies.
Hannah also recognizes that the Lord is her rock. In their culture a great rock could refer to at least two things. One was that a rock was a stable foundation for building upon. The other was a place of refuge to flee from an advancing army. If you have seen the movie Masada or have studied the historical battle, then you understand the significance of the Lord being our rock as in being a place of refuge. In the Jewish rebellion against the Roman empire in 70 A.D., Masada was the last hold out of the Jews against the Romans. It took the a 3 year siege and the engineering of a massive ramp for the Romans to eventually breach the walls of Masada. Stone Mountain, Georgia is the largest piece of exposed Granite in North America, perhaps the world. If it were on all sides as its face is, then it would be a rock that is impregnable to any ancient army. The Lord is our rock. When we are in his care, we are safe. Nothing can defeat us. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Romans 12
The Glory of Christ is seen in our transformed minds. The world’s mindset is that one makes decisions and does actions in such a manner so that one promotes one’s own good. But the glory of Christ is such that as He changes us, we see the strengths He has given us. We use those strengths to promote the good of others, even those who are evil, but especially those of the household of faith. What a difference that is from the world’s mindset! But that is what Jesus did! Not only did He do it but He enables us to do it! Not that is glorious! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment