Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 11, 2010

1 Samuel 1
When living in Glencoe in grade school, going to Stillwater was an exciting thing, especially if I could talk my parents into letting me go to the movie. One Saturday my mom and our next door neighbor’s mom decided to go shopping in Stillwater. My sister and neighbor girl found out, and they talked mom into letting them go to the movie while the moms shopped. I found out, and of course I talked my way into going as well. A matinee was showing at the Aggie, The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao. In those days they did not clear the theater after each showing. And of course I did not sit with my sister and her friend. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, 2½ times. Finally, my sister tapped me on the shoulder and said, “It’s time to go.”

On the way out she asked, “Were you scared?”

“Of course not,” I replied, “why would I be scared?”

“Didn’t you know that we left you behind?” Apparently the old adage, “Out of sight, out of mind,” applied here. They had driven within a mile of Glencoe before they remembered that they had forgotten to get me out of the theater. Frantically, they turned around, and as quickly as possible drove the 15 mile trip back to Stillwater. They had forgotten me, and I never knew it or felt it.

Have you ever felt that you have been forgotten by God? Does God forget? Our text says that God remembered Hannah. If God is all knowing, how can He ever forget anything? Yet, Jeremiah 31:34 says that part of the New Covenant is that He will remember our sin no more. The word ‘remember’ has a meaning which includes to call to mind. God never forgets. He is God. He knows everything. By definition He has the ability to call to mind anything. When God remembers, it is not referring to an ability; it is referring to a decision. He chose to bring to mind Hannah’s request and grant it. Hannah had felt forgotten. She wasn’t forgotten, but it felt like it. But God called her back to mind at the appropriate time. He chooses to forget the sin of those who have been placed under the blood of Jesus. He sees the blood covering and chooses not to peek under the covers to see what is there. He has the ability to bring it to mind, but He does not bring it to mind. He never forgets us, rather He is always mindful of us in planning what is best for His glory and for us. Yet He chooses to not call to mind our sin. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor john

August 11, 2005 Romans 11:19-36

Consider the goodness & severity of God. Yesterday, I wrote my meditation on the glory of God while sitting on the floor of the front corridor of the Mexico City airport. To make a long story short, we missed our flight and were forced to wait another day. We didn't really have much option but to spend it in the airport corridor. We included Laura, Beth, Liam (age 6), and Mandy (a friend). At least we were together; but 24 hours in an airport corridor wasn't too exciting, especially with a 6 year old.

While I was writing my meditation, a Mexican walked up to me and said, "Excuse me, but I am an evangelical Christian. I was wondering why you are here?" I explained and then he said, "I live about 10 minutes from here. Why don't you come home and spend the night with me. I am not a rich man but you are welcome in my home."

Honestly, I thought it was a scam at first. But he told me that he rarely heard the voice of the Lord, but he was convinced that the Lord told him to take us home. His family was there with him. He called a neighbor, who was a brother in Christ, to come help transport us and our luggage to their home. His family and his neighbors gave us beds and cots to sleep on, fed us dinner and breakfast and then took us back to the airport this morning.

When he first said that the Lord told him to take us home, I was overwhelmed with the goodness of God and had to fight back the tears. Sitting around his table, he shared with us what the Lord had been doing in his church in the last year. His home church met in his neighbor's home every Friday evening. There were about 30 of them. God had performed miraculous healings among them. Most of them had just met the Lord in the last year. Their larger church, which met on Sunday mornings, could trace its origin back to the revival in Wales in 1904.

This morning I read this passage, "Consider the goodness & severity of the Lord." Now, I realize this is a whole different context from my situation, but as I considered the goodness of the Lord, I was once again overwhelmed. I shared this with the brother at the Breakfast table and told him, "God has used you to show me His goodness."

He replied, "My pastor has a saying, 'When God wants to hold us, He always sends a brother. We are his arms.'"

Laura replied, "You have been God's arms to us."

I hope I never forget that. That is the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ in action. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment