Friday, March 9, 2012

March 9

Psalm 68
What makes a leader successful? In 14 & under Pony league baseball I was part of the Murphy Yanks here in Stillwater. The team had a history of being the best team in the city. I played a very special role. I kept the bench warm. The team itself was very successful. My first year on the team, the guys won the state tournament and went on to regionals at Kansas City. Not that I got to go, they only took the good players. Of course there was big write up in the paper and the triumphant team had their picture in the paper, all of the usual victory celebration. In one respect it was interesting to be part of the best team in the state. In another respect if I could have been traded to the worst team in the league, I would have chosen that. At least then I would have had some playing time during games. At the end of the last season, the coach gathered us all around and assessed our abilities. When he came to me, he said, “Chaffin, you are as good a fielder as anybody on the team, but I swear if I rolled a basketball to you, you couldn’t hit it.” Needless to say, I never played anymore baseball after that. You know, I have no memories of any of the coaches ever trying to teach me how to be a better hitter. Just remember, being ignored. Guess I was a lost cause, and successful coaches don’t waste time with lost causes.
This Psalm is so rich with the Glory of God! David as a successful warrior-king envisions God coming in His glory as a conquering king in His victory procession to receive and display His glory among His people. It used to be when conquering kings/warriors returned home that a victory parade would be given in honor of the victors. The last real victory parades in the USA were at the end of WWII. I have seen news reels of them and read about them. Perhaps you have too. It was common in ancient times to march the captives in the victory procession. It was also common for the king to pay his soldiers using the booty collected among the conquered people. (Which in ancient times is what motivated soldiers. War has almost always been about economics and greed.)
The nations are depicted as being jealous of Israel because of her great King. He is a king that has a heart for the widow and fatherless. He is a King that receives gifts among men. Paul quotes the Septuagint translation of verse 18 in Ephesians 4:8. Ps 68:18: “You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive; You have received gifts among men, Even from the rebellious, That the LORD God might dwell there.” The Septuagint words it a little differently so that it reads in Ephesians 4:8: Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.” He gives us gifts that we may give them back to Him. What a gracious King! We who were once captives, enemies of His, are now enlisted in His army! We are given gifts to give back to Him to enhance His glory, and in so doing we improve the state of His kingdom, and we get to march in His victory procession not as defeated foes but as victorious comrades! He has no lost causes on his team. Unlike earthly coaches, he enters our lives gifting, coaching, enabling, empowering us to do the task for which He has designed for us to fulfill on his victorious team. He indwells us! Because He indwells me, I get to play! I don't have to sit and watch. I’ll gladly march into hell for this King because I know that He will bring me through it victoriously! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment