Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 22

Psalm 81
I have never seen an episode of the TV show Desperate Housewives. Seeing one commercial was enough to convince me that I should not let my mind wander there. I have enough difficulty remaining pure without dwelling on someone else’s impurity. Yet, I imagine that the housewives of that show are fitting illustrations of the wife of the Lord as described in this Psalm. But I do not want to describe any more of her than is necessary to give an antithesis of Him.
He is faithful to His unfaithful wife. He delivered her out of slavery in Egypt. He gave her fresh water when it was bitter. He gave her filtered water when there was none. She ran after other men (foreign gods). He wooed her to Himself with promises of joy and provision, but she would have none of it. He remained loyal to her. He desired to give her the best. He wanted to give her the best foods and deserts. He even desired to give honey from the rock. In a place where there could be no food, he could give honey. He is infinitely sweet to His wife. But that sweetness permits her to pursue her own stubborn design, to walk in her own counsels. Those ways lead to death.
You and I are or can be that unfaithful wife. Lord, You are the ever faithful One! Even now you give me the finest of wheat, figuratively and literally! Help me protect my heart from foreign Gods! They constantly woo me! But only You can satisfy. It is Your glory to satisfy. You are most glorified when we are most satisfied in You! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment