Monday, October 25, 2010

October 25, 2010

2 Kings 25
We had just moved to Oregon. We were only one month into our stay there, and our money had already run dry. Deposits and rents took much more from the coffers than I had expected. I was jobless. I had come in what I thought was obedience to the will of the Lord. Little did I know but it would 4 months before I would gain a steady job. The Lord had given us His promise that through Him we would do valiantly. However, it did not feel very valiant at the time. Honestly, a couple of times I felt as if home were closer, I would have quit and gone there. But home wasn’t close, and to wait upon the Lord was easier than returning. “This calamity is from the Lord. Why should I wait upon the Lord any longer?’ Ever been there? I have felt that way before.
The king of Israel was certain that the famine, which Samaria was experiencing because of the Syrian siege, was Elisha’s fault. After all at one point the King had captured a large number of Syrian soldiers, but Elisha would not permit their execution. Rather, he commanded that they be fed and sent home. Perhaps if had killed those soldiers then, the odds would have been more in his favor now and the siege might never have happened. In the king’s mind this is all Yahweh’s fault and Elisha was His representative. It was his fault.
Well, it sort of was. Indeed the king could have executed all the soldiers and he might have a better advantage after that. But he was looking at what could have been and not what was. The Lord had provided several miracles to lead to that point. He had surrounded Elisha’s camp with angels preventing his capture. He had opened the eyes of the servant enabling him to see reality. He blinded the eyes of the soldiers forcing their submission. He could do something just as miraculous now if only the king would wait upon the Lord. Instead of looking at the glory, the king looked at the problem. We need to look at the glory. I have never missed a meal because I lacked something that I needed. Sometimes I have chosen not to eat because I was tired of what was provided. But I have always had what was needed. He does that. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!--Pastor john

1 Timothy 5
What a mess people are! The glory of Christ is seen in what He does in people in churches. In order to justify their lack of involvement in church, some people use the excuse that the churches are full of hypocrites anyway. So what did you expect? What really amazes me is not that there are hypocrites in the church but that occasionally you come across a church that seems to be functioning properly! I mean think about it! I've been around long enough to know that people just don't get along. People in general are just too diverse and selfish. Sooner or later there are going to be problems and everyone takes sides. How do you handle those problems to keep unity? If I could package that and give a guarantee of success, I could become a millionaire.
But you know what? Jesus is able to do that. He gives us directions to follow. Some of those are seen here. Were told how to exhort an older man, how to handle widows (perhaps the Federal Government could learn from this), how to treat elders of a church and even how to use wisdom in health issues. Our problems in the church stem more from our unwillingness to seek the Lord and follow His commands than from any lack of ability or direction from Him. But when I think about the waywardness of the heart of man, I realize that anytime I see people moving in unity toward the Lord Jesus Christ, that is an awesome miracle! What glory there is in that!
You know there is great glory to Jesus when He miraculously heals someone. Did you realize there is also glory to Him when you choose to follow good health practices in order to prevent disease? You know there is great glory to Jesus when a widow's need is miraculously met (see Elijah and Elisha). Did you realize there is also glory to Him when we follow His directions as to how believing families are to help one another? The glory of Christ is seen in a greater way when imperfect people yield to their perfect Lord, when they see that they have transgressed against His instructions and they work together to follow His instruction to restore one another. I am amazed at what He can do to bring people together. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment