Thursday, June 10, 2010

June 10, 2010

Deuteronomy15

I opened up the building yesterday so that those who were setting up for the food distribution for the poor could get ready. The distribution was to start in two hours. There were already 12 people there waiting for the distribution to start. I helped unload the bread truck and then decided that I needed to go home and work on my lesson plans. (I was leaving in six days to teach an English class in Mongolia.) I had more than I could finish. A thought popped into my mind, “Why don’t you stay and talk with these poor people.” An emotion of irritation arose in my mind, besides I had plenty of work to do. I went on home. Today as I read this passage, I wondered, “What was that irritation all about?” Could it be that I am not willing to give of myself to these people? I don’t mind giving my money, but my time is another issue.

Every seven years the people of Israel were to release their creditors. The people of Israel were not to harden their heart toward the poor or close their hand to them. According to the KJV Bible Commentary, the word ‘to release’ means ‘to let lie down,’ or, ‘to let go.’ So we are to give to the poor. Even when we lend, we should not lend except with the intent that we may never see the money again. We let it go. Why would the Lord ask them/us to do that? A key to the answer is found in Jesus’ statement in the Sermon on the Mount, “You shall be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” Our debt to God has been released. He wants us to release others because He wants us to be like Himself. Like Indiana Jones’ father told him in the climactic scene of The Last Crusade, He tells us, “Let it go.” There is freedom to be had in letting it go. When we let it go, we vibrantly demonstrate the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ because He let our debt go. Our debt was paid for on the cross. When we trust, the Father lets it go. We are released. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor john

John 19:1-22

How can the King who has all authority and all power allow Himself to be beaten? How can the King who has all authority and all power allow Himself to be mocked? How can the King who has all authority and all power allow Himself to be tried? How can a King who has all authority and all power remain silent in His own trial? How can the King who has all authority and all power allow Himself to be crucified? Only the King of truth could do this if He were sacrificing Himself for those whom He loves. Our King of truth willingly sacrificed Himself for us. Indeed our King is a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment