Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 8

Proverbs 8
Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 1:24, 27 & 2:7:
But to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. . . 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— . . . 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
In one sense, Christ is the personification of wisdom spoken of in Proverbs 7. In another sense, He is more than wisdom. But since we are looking at the glory of Christ, let’s approach Proverbs 7 as though it were the personification of Christ.
One of the first things that I see here is that wisdom ‘cries out’ from high hills, highway intersections, city gates, doors of houses and buildings. Unlike the adulterous woman who coaxes the naïve into her bedroom behind closed doors to gain her fill of unrighteousness, Jesus is in the open calling out to people everywhere in all activities of life and in every situation. He is calling them to come to Him. He is ever the great communicator! It is only my fixation upon sin that inhibits my ability to hear Him! He is calling to us from the very point of creation right up unto the present. His voice was never any clearer or plainer than when He was upon the cross. The cross thunders through the ages that God hates sin, and He loves people. The resurrection echoes that He has power to deliver us from the bonds of our sin. But clearly in order to receive the benefits of that deliverance, we must yield to His calling out to us.
Another thing that I see here is that that wisdom is involved in the creation of the universe. Jesus as the ever communicating Word is also the Creator. When we are investigating how the depths of the oceans or the crust of the earth, we are merely discovering His thoughts as He created the earth. When we investigate the minutia of the molecular, atomic and sub-atomic world, we are merely thinking His thoughts after Him. When we explore the vast expanse of the solar system, galaxy and universe, we are simply finding out how awesome He really is. All of these declare to us constantly His wisdom ad power.
A final thing that I would like to look at today is His value. He is more valuable that gold, silver, rubies or any precious stone. Why do I spend and waste the majority of my time upon the acquisition of riches, when I can have more of Him? Why do I not spend my time in the pursuit of Him and His Kingdom? Then He can give me what He sees fit for me to have for myself? A true understanding of His glory could only lead me in that direction. If He desires to give me the earthly riches of Solomon, He can do that. If He desires to give me the earthly riches of Lazarus, (the one who died at the same time as the un-named rich man), He can do that. The point is, He is truly all the riches I need. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment