Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 20

Psalm 20
Many times I have declared something to the effect of, “This is where God is leading me,” only to find that while the first step was where He was leading me, subsequent steps force me elsewhere. Am I so dense that I do not properly hear the voice of my Lord? It could be. It could be that I am so disobedient that I am not in tune with His voice. Then again the proverb says, “24A man’s steps are of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way?” It is that old “sovereignty of God/free will of man” debate. How can man truly have free will if God is truly sovereign? How can God be truly sovereign if has free will? I think I have heard most of the arguments on both sides. It is not an argument that is unique to Christianity. It is an argument that exists in all religions. I have never been satisfied with any answers that I have read. I simply have come to live with the tension that both are true.
I genuinely believe that I am free to decide. Yes, I understand that when I first chose to sin (whether in Adam or in my early childhood), I became enslaved to sin. To some degree, I lost the ability to choose, but never the less I chose Christ. Somehow Christ lets me do that. Yet somehow, He chose me first. Theologians have always struggled with how to explain it. Wesley talked of prevenient grace. Jonathan Edwards, of course, was embroiled in a debate over the issue that cost him a great deal. Both of these were men with intellect far greater than mine. If they cannot explain it, why should I think that I can explain it any better than they? I am not highly motivated to try to understand it. I simply declare, “God is sovereign, and I must choose. I can live with both.” Some of you may think that is a cop out. Maybe it is, but I don't care.
He sometimes directs me in one direction by using things or saying things that I do not fully grasp. That is part of the adventure. It is part of the challenge. If I want to partake, then I must stay at His side. Daily He unfolds a little bit more of His glory as I wait on Him to reveal a little more of Himself. He does it small increments so that I will stay at His side. I get into trouble when I get too far away. My steps are of the Lord. I really don’t know for sure where I will be tomorrow, or in a year. That is part of the adventure of experiencing His glory. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment