Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4

Proverbs 4
Today verse 23 struck me the most: Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life. (NKJV). The New Century Version, translated on a third grade reading level, says, “Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.” Hmmm. . . How much of what I think on the Glory of Christ runs my life? Do I really grasp the relationship between thinking upon his greatness as it relates to every area of my life and what actually happens in those areas? If it is legitimate to segment my life into areas in order to more fully grasp how thinking about His glory in that area, how would thinking first about His glory there change how I think and run my life in each area.
Of course I would have to begin with my relationship with Him. If I did that, then certainly I would become more of a person who practices the presence of God (i.e. Brother Lawrence). How would it affect my relationship with my wife? Does the way I love her reflect His glory? Does it reflect the way He loves? How would it affect my relationship with my children? My grandchildren? How would it affect my relationship with the congregation which I pastor? How would it affect the use of the material things of which He has appointed me a steward? How would it affect the use of the time which He has given me to live? How would it affect my interaction with my neighbors? HOW? HOW? HOW?
I think I am starting to get worn down by how far short I fall from the ideal. I cannot attain His glory. But I guess that is part of what Paul was talking about when by the inspiration of the Spirit he said, “For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” It almost makes me want to throw up my hands and say, “So what’s the use? I cannot do it!” That is why He offers grace. It is His divine enablement in me. It is Himself in me.
Verse seven says, “Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.” Nelson’s Topical Bible Index says that understanding is knowing things in their right relationship. I cannot know anything in its proper relationship without understanding its relationship to the glory of Christ. Lord, give me understanding and the power to put it into action! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment