Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1

Proverbs 1
My father has been in heaven about 21/3 years now. I can no longer sit down and listen to his instruction, but then, I think we had longed passed that stage in life. Still it would be nice if we could sit down and talk again. But I suppose we will do that in the not too far distant future. After all at 57, I am much closer to the end of my life than to the beginning. Mom was less reluctant at ‘laying down the law’ than was Dad. I still remember her speeches about “You don’t have any godly reason to be out alone with a girl after 11:00 pm.” Of course, I am now long out of that stage of life as well. Mom doesn’t lay down the law any more. That ended when I married and started my own home. But even now I feel on occasion that I need to sit down and hear the instruction of my father or the law of my mother.
While I was not perfect in listening to their instruction and law, I certainly can attest that following what they said has resulted in being a “graceful ornament” on my head and “chains” (of the jewelry type) about my neck. As a pastor, I have also seen this principle in others. While there are exceptions, there is normally a definite correlation between the grace with which people go through life and the overall way in which they responded to the instruction and law of their parents. What does this have to do with the glory of the Lord? We learn to obey the instruction and law of the Lord by the way we learn to obey the instruction and law of our parents. But I never grow out of the stage of needing to listen to Him. That is why fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I have learned that listening to Him allows me to dwell safe and secure and without fear of evil. It is my job to listen to Him. It is His job to provide safety and security. Listening to Him produces greater glory for Him.
I am reminded of the report found in the Martyrdom. In his old age Polycarp was commanded by a Roman authority to renounce the name of Jesus and worship the Emperor. In return he was promised to be able to live the rest of his life in peace. He is reported to have responded, "Eighty and six years I have served him, how then can I blaspheme my King and Savior? Bring forth what thou wilt." He was then burned at the stake. After 86 years of earthly security, he entered into the eternal security and peace of our Lord. Lord enable me to listen to your instruction and Your law. Be a graceful ornament on our heads and a beautiful chain on our necks! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment