Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30

Jeremiah 24
Are you a bad fig or a good fig? The Lord seems to have classified the people of Jerusalem into two categories, good figs and bad figs. Josiah’s Kingdom fell apart upon his death in battle against Pharoah in 609 B.C. Jehoiakim was eventually put in power by Pharaoh. After a few of years he switched his allegiance to Nebuchadnezzar who had won a decisive battle against Egypt at Carchemish. Later Jehoiakim rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar. He was replaced by Coniah, who after three months was carried off to Babylon. Along with Coniah, Nebuchadnezzar carried off the best of the land to Babylon. It is this exile to which Jeremiah is speaking. The salvageable people are referred to as good figs, and the unsalvageable are referred to as bad figs. Am I a bad fig or a good fig? How about you?
In the midst of this the Lord says of the good figs:
For I will set My eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land; I will build them and not pull them down, and I will plant them and not pluck them up. 7 Then I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God, for they shall return to Me with their whole heart.
This is a general principle about God, and it can be applied to me and you. He desires to give us a heart to seek Him. There comes a point when that offer is no longer available. We have become bad figs. But what incredible grace He gives us that we should be given by Him a heart to seek Him! That is the whole issue of meditations on the glory, men & women in the word, families in the word etc. Are we seeking Him? We need each other to spur each other on to seek the Lord! He gives us the heart; He gives us the grace, but we must choose to seek Him! Lord Jesus I choose to receive the heart to seek You that You have given me. Increase my knowledge of You. It is You I crave and need. It is You who salvages my filthy life! Your glory is all I want! ! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment