Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24

Jeremiah 18
Many years ago when my oldest was around 12 years of age, he gave me a gift for my birthday. It was a pewter figurine of a potter working on a foot powered potter’s wheel. He hand wrote on 3X5 cards a few of the verses of Jeremiah 18. It has made many moves since then. It has fallen off the desk many times. The head is broken off at the neck. The potter is no longer connected to the wheel. But I still have it and the hand written cards, which he gave with it. I keep it for many reasons. It was a very thoughtful gift from my son. It is a strong reminder to me that the Lord is still working on me. Hopefully my son understands that when he sees my imperfections. When I feel that I am hopeless, I can be reminded of the words of Jeremiah. He is the potter, and I am the clay. What I become is based on two things 1) the Lord’s skillfulness as a potter and 2) my yieldedness to His shaping hands.
Yesterday we saw in Jeremiah 17 the contrast between those who trust in the arm of the flesh and those who trust and hope in the Lord. We saw our need to cast ourselves at His feet to show us and change our hearts. If we were to see the complete depravity of our hearts all at once, I am convinced it would drive me to despair. It would probably drive you to despair also. I cannot change! Today in Jeremiah 18 we see a wonderful illustration of why we have hope and not despair. He is the potter, and I am the clay! If we will yield to Him, He is willing and able to mold us into the vessel which He wants us to be. The only issue is, “Will I yield; will I repent? If so, He is the master potter!
The message was too simple for the Israelites. No, they had their righteousness (so they thought). Jeremiah was just, absurd! They not only walked away, they began plotting how to destroy him. What was Jeremiah’s response? He asked the Lord to deal with them in His anger. There is always this tension with the Lord. On the one hand He is a loving forgiving Father to His children who repent and trust in Him. On the other hand, He is a just God who dispenses wrath on those who will not repent.
Do I like who I am? Oh Lord, keep me always with my mind being changed into conformance to your desires. I yield to you that you may mold me however you desire. You are the master artist. I am simply clay. As I yield, I choose to delight in the work of the Master Artist. How about you? Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment