Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2

Jeremiah 26
Observe the mercies of our Lord! He sends messenger after messenger to us warning us of His wrath against sin. How is it that so many are so adept at resisting His mercy? He sent Micah to Hezekiah warning of the wrath that was coming. Hezekiah repented! The destruction of the temple was postponed! He sent Urijah to Jehoiakim to proclaim the need for repentance. Jehoiakim sent his special ops people down to Egypt to kidnap Urijah and bring him back to Jerusalem to execute him. The Lord sent Jeremiah to Jehoiakim to proclaim the wrath and mercy of the Lord. The people arrested Jeremiah immediately. Why were they so intent on resisting the mercy of the Lord? The Lord raised up one to intercede for Jeremiah, but He raised up no one to intercede for Urijah, why? Urijah was executed; Jeremiah lived on. By the way, Ahikam, who interceded for Jeremiah, was part of the delegation that Josiah, decades earlier, had sent to the prophetess, Huldah, to inquire of the Lord concerning the possibility of revival. Ahikam was also the father of Gedaliah, whom Nebuchadnezzar appointed Governor of Jerusalem after its destruction and protector of Jeremiah. Gedaliah was assassinated by Jewish nationalists led by Ishmael. Talk about resisting the mercy of God!
It is easy to point at Jehoiakim or Ishmael and talk about them resisting the mercy of God, but what about us? Do I resist the mercy of God? Hmmmm. . . . maybe that is hitting too close to home. If someone points out my sin, do I welcome their pointing it out? If you are like me, probably not. Hardly anyone wants to be told that he is wrong, but if one is really wrong, should he not welcome correction? Is it not a mercy to be told I am wrong so that I might have opportunity to correct the wrong? God in His mercy sends us correction through His word and through others. It is all about His mercy. Can I see the mercy of God even when I am corrected? I probably need correction more than I am willing to admit. When the correction comes, do I see it as the mercy of God. When I see the mercy of God revealed, do I see it as part of his glory? Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment