Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 17, 2011

Job 16
“Daddy, if I were being chased by the Mafia, would you help me?” Now there is a strange question to come out of the blue. Beth had a dream the night before last. In her dream, the Mafia was chasing her. And NOBODY would help her except Jesse. The police wouldn’t help; nobody, whom she asked for help, would help. Later that day she jokingly asked me that question. Of course I would help.
11God has delivered me to the ungodly, And turned me over to the hands of the wicked. 12 I was at ease, but He has shattered me; He also has taken me by my neck, and shaken me to pieces; He has set me up for His target, 13His archers surround me. He pierces my heart and does not pity; He pours out my gall on the ground. –NKJV
Had God really delivered Job to the ungodly? The Contemporary English Version translates the last part of 13 as: “and without showing mercy, he slashed my stomach open, spilling out my insides.” Job is accusing God of being as merciless as if he were being drawn and quartered! Is that true of God? Indeed God had delivered Job to Satan. God gave Satan permission to do whatever he wanted with Job, except take his life. Satan took God up on the offer. How does this reflect upon the glory of God? I mean, even I, being evil, protect my children, wouldn’t God?
Sometimes God has greater plans in mind than our momentary protection. What we learn from Job is that although the pain which he was experiencing was excruciating, God is in control, and ultimately a few minutes in the presence of the Almighty is indeed worth days, months, weeks, yes, even years of pain. God wants the world to know that. But how can the world learn unless people like Job are willing? Sometimes God lets the spiritual Mafia take us, so we can learn how wonderful He is. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment