Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14, 2011

Job 13
In verse eleven the New Century Version says, “His bright glory would scare you.” The NKJV says His excellence. The New Living Translation says, “His glorious splendor.” One would think that Job had spent much time in meditation on the glory of God. I believe that he had. Because of that time in meditation upon the Lord, he says a couple of amazing things. First he knows that his present problem is not the judgment of God for specific sin that he has done. Look at what he says, “This is my case: I know that I am righteous.” He is doing his best to lay aside useless condemnation, and his friends are not helping him with this task. They are useless physicians. Second he knows that He can trust God to listen to whatever he has to say, “God may kill me for saying this—in fact, I expect him to. Nevertheless, I am going to argue my case with him.” (LB) He is familiar enough with the glory of God that he can speak his mind to God. Have I reached that point? Is that not the true essence of prayer?
Understanding the awesome glory of God, he asks two things of Him, “O God, there are two things I beg you not to do to me; only then will I be able to face you. 21Don’t abandon me. And don’t terrify me with your awesome presence.” Those of us who have chosen to cling to Jesus have come to the understanding that He will never leave us nor forsake us. He has promised that. However, He has never promised to not terrify us with His awesome presence. Indeed, Job got what he asked for. He was able to face God. God never abandoned him, but God indeed terrified Job with His presence. I think that if He were to reveal Himself to me as He did to Job, I would be terrified. But it would be a good terror; it was for Job. How about that, good terror? But then, that is the glory of our Lord. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment