Monday, April 5, 2010

April 4, 2010

Leviticus 7 no comment

Luke 8:1-25
Ever noticed how we all have selective hearing? Of course you have, it’s a common part of our nature. I remember when my mother would call me. If she used the diminutive, 'Johnny,' (which wasn't very often) I could pretty well bet that she was going to ask me something that she wasn't going to force upon me, but I probably wouldn't like. If she used just my first name, I knew that things were ok, and we were basically in the beginning of the obedience test. If she said, "John Craig!" I knew that her patience was strained, and I'd better act. If she said, "John Craig Chaffin!" It was too late, I had already crossed the line of the obedience test, and I had better brace myself for the consequences. I was the last of 5 kids. If she was calling me by starting at the top of the list of my siblings until she got to me, then I knew that she was frustrated or excited about something. It was time to listen closely, lest I further her frustration. My hearing and obedience was selective relative to how I was addressed and the tone of her voice.
As I grew older, I learned that selective hearing worked both ways. Often it is common for a parent to act like they are listening to the ongoing prattle of their child when in fact, their mind is far off. My mom was a school teacher. Sometimes I found that if she was immersed in thought that the best way to get here attention was not to call her, "Mom," but to say, "Mrs. Chaffin." I guess when my daughter wants my attention she says, "Father." She has learned that that usually gets my attention. Why? I never addressed my father as, "Father." It was always, "Daddy," or "Dad." So when I hear, "Father," I automatically feel like I am in a very formal situation, and I begin paying attention.
What does selective hearing have to do with today's passage on the glory of Christ? Jesus addressed the multitudes in parables, which most of them did not understand. We humans have selective hearing. It is the glory of Christ to plainly tell His message to everyone. Yet, only those who listen will understand. It is so important for us to take heed as to how we hear. Only those who concentrate upon hearing Him will understand and obey. Spiritually, most of us have attention deficit disorder, ADD. For a period in time, even Jesus' mother and brothers were suffering from spiritual ADD. They thought Jesus had gone mad. They had come to collect Him. What was Jesus' response? "My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it."
Our obedience level is directly connected to our selective hearing level. He is not a God that will demean Himself by ignoring our inattentiveness. However, He does arrange circumstances in our lives so that we will sharpen our hearing faculties. Hence for the disciples, they immediately cross the sea of Galilee, Jesus falls asleep and a great storm threatens to destroy them. Hadn't they listened to the parable of the sower and hearing and obedience? Well, yes, but in the storm He had their full attention. Their hearing was no longer selective. They saw His great glory. Are you in a storm? Pay attention! It is in the storm where you can see His glory at its greatest! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment