Monday, April 19, 2010

April 18, 2010

Luke 14:25-35
It Takes a Thief, Maverick, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve etc. for some reason we love to watch TV shows & movies about ingenious ways of gaining something that really does not belong to us (better known as stealing). Okay, Okay, I used the plural we. Maybe I should have said, "I." Well even if you won't admit it, there must be others other than me, because these all made money from people watching them. Okay I admit it. I enjoy watching them because I want things that cost more than what I have.
Jesus offers us something that costs more than what we have. He offers us a relationship with Himself. In one sense it is free. In another sense it is not. He says, "Come, take up your cross and follow Me." Now there is only one reason to pick up a cross. It is so you can take it to the place of execution and be nailed to it. There you will hang until dead. Yeah that's right, Jesus wants to leave us hanging-until dead. It is a living death. Doesn't sound too pleasant, does it?
But what do we get in exchange? We get life. We get a moment by moment experience of His beautiful presence. Is it worth it? What little I have experienced of His precious presence in the midst of suffering, I would say, "I will do it all over again for His presence." Of course, I would say, "Lord, can't we do this without the pain?" But for some reason He says, "Not now." By faith I reckon that His life is worth more than this life. In the process of dying, He shows me more of His beauty. It is worth the cost. Have you counted the cost? He calls us to abundant life. But the path to abundant life is found through living death to self. Why would I want to do that? Because His glory is worth it! Danny Ocean might steal and connive his way into millions of dollars, but he loses it all when he dies. I might die to the things I wanted out of this life, but when this death is complete, I will have walked with the King of Glory along the way, and I will have riches that cannot be taken away. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment