Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 29

Zechariah 13
I stood on the sidelines and watched my son’s football game. I was amazed at the coach. Troy had played five years as a professional football player. So, obviously he knew what he was doing. What has always amazed me most, though, was how these coaches almost always knew what play the other team was about to run. It certainly was true of Troy. I remember hearing him warn the defensive end and people on the nearside, “They are going to run a sweep to your side!” Sure enough they ran it to their side. Time and time throughout the game, he would warn them about the play the other team was going to run, and time and time again, they would run it. It did not seem to make much difference to our guys. They seemed to get blown away each time. How much more could a coach have prepared them? I‘m glad I wasn’t coaching. I would have been extremely frustrated.
Both Matthew and Mark record Jesus as quoting Zech 13:7 to the disciples as they walked together on the way to the Mount of Olives on the night on which He was betrayed. He always knew what was happening. He made sure that He communicated what was happening to His disciples when they needed to know what was happening. Like a coach who knew what the play of the opponent, He knew what the next step was, and He warned His disciples, “Hey guys, this is the crucifixion play we discussed. It’s going to happen now! Get ready! You’re about to be swept away.” The warning didn’t seem to sink in. They didn’t get it. They were swept away.
He does the same for us. He gives us general instruction about life and expects us to prepare accordingly. Then during the play, at the appropriate moment when we need His instruction, He gives it. He is constantly warning us. Like the disciples, we are usually too dumfounded to really get it. We get swept away and scattered. But He is a good coach. He calls us back into the huddle and His Holy Spirit begins to prepare and empower us for the next play. Sometimes He says, “Okay John, this is the crucifixion play. You need to die to self and sin and let me live in you, or you will be swept away.” What I need to do is listen and yield to Him. If I die, I live. If I insist on living, I am swept away. Now that is something to praise Him for and about. Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment