Monday, September 5, 2011

September 5

Ezekiel 35
“I beat your . . . “ He spoke the words with a snarl as we entered the shower room after football practice. What could I say? It was true, and he was reveling in it. But what could I do? He was our first string defensive tackle, and I was playing offensive tackle on our scout team. He outweighed me by 40 pounds. He was stronger, faster and smarter. I never have figured out why he didn’t like me, but he didn’t, and he was loving every minute of making me miserable. He loved gloating over my demise. It sparked a fire of anger in my heart that did not go out for at least 24hrs.
Mt. Seir is the rugged desolate mountainous area south of the Dead Sea. It was inhabited by the descendants of Esau. The nation was called Edom. Israel had an “ancient” feud with Edom, beginning with Esau and extended two thousand years through his descendents. The Edomites would not allow Israel to travel through their land when Israel was trying to move from the wilderness to the east side of the Jordan. David subdued the Edomites and made the part of his kingdom. From time to time they rebelled under subsequent kings. They obviously gloated over Israel’s demise when Nebuchadnezzar first subdued then destroyed them. The Lord pronounces the doom of Edom. Why? Because Edom gloated over Israel when He, the Lord, was in Israel. It was an offense against His glory. So He returned unto Edom what Israel received.
Today we have many Christians throughout the world who are being persecuted for the mere reason that the Lord is in their midst. Like Edom, the Lord will one day return their hatred upon them. To be sure some persecutors will be shown mercy, even as Paul was shown mercy, but the mercy will only come if they repent and believe. That is part of the glory of our Lord.
The next day after my opponent on the football field gloated over me was different. This time when we came in from the practice field, he had a slight concussion. It was exhibited by a mild case of amnesia. To my shame I had a fierce anger toward him during practice. I wanted to hurt him. I, quite likely, was the cause of his concussion. Learning that he had a concussion immediately killed my anger. But even though I regret wanting and trying to hurt him, somehow I still find some kind of pleasure that justice was served. The gloater, the boaster fell. The glory of the Lord is that ultimately, justice will be served. We will not necessarily rejoice in the death of the wicked, but we will rejoice that justice prevailed and mercy was offered. Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment