Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

2 Chronicles 25
Amaziah began his reign by properly executing his father’s murderers. However, he quickly went downhill from there. He first disobeyed the Lord by numbering the men of Israel in order to determine the strength of the army. Then based upon the census, he hired soldiers from Ephraim to fight for him. Both acts were forbidden by the Lord. As a result, the Lord rebuked him through the prophet. But he had already spent 100 talents hiring the Ephraimites. The Lord told him to let it go; He could provide much more. Amaziah reluctantly obeyed. The Lord forgave Amaziah. However, Amaziah had to live with the consequences of his sin. He lost the 100 talents, and the Ephraimites attacked his territory while he was fighting the Edomites. God had already been abundantly merciful to Amaziah, but Amaziah presumed on the mercy of the Lord. Amaziah then spiraled into even greater sin.
What do I see about he glory of the Lord? He is merciful. He gave Amaziah much opportunity to repent, but eventually Amaziah’s refusal to repent led to Amaziah’s discipline and eventual death. The justice of the Lord is thus played out in the acts of men. How is his glory seen here? He is shown as both merciful and just. That is my Jesus. He is ever compassionate and merciful. However, one day an end comes where He ceases to wait for our obedience. He is just. I also see that I can freely let go of what I thing is a great sum of money. He is able give it all back to me if He desires. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Revelation 12
In the fall of my sophomore year in high school I weighed all of 135 pounds and that was stretching it a bit. I went out for football. We had 6 strings on the team. I was on the sixth. The coach used to have the sixth string run against the first string. We would run the plays that the next team that we were playing would probably be running. Our first string had a guy on it who was about 235 pounds and made all-state tackle. He was pure muscle. One particular practice I had the opportunity to be on defense against him and to be the one he got to block. They were practicing a screen pass, which meant not only was he blocking me but he had would be hitting me at a full run. My demise was sudden, airborne and painful. As I collected my self from various parts of the field, I remember the head coach, who couldn't even call my name without looking on the name tag on my helmet, say, "Now protect yourself, Chaffin." My thought was, "Give me a Smith & Wesson, and I will protect myself." I was a nameless player in an inglorious effort against an impossible foe.
Sometimes in this world it seems as though we are nameless players in an inglorious effort against impossible foes. Satan has always opposed the work of God. He sought to destroy Jesus. He thought he had destroyed Jesus when he had Him nailed to the cross. Ah but God raised Him up on the third day, and then He ascended to the right hand of the Father in heaven. But Satan remains in opposition to us. He seeks to make us feel like we are nameless players in an inglorious effort against an impossible foe. But our Lamb is an attack Lamb. Our Lamb has overcome on our behalf! We enter into that victory as we trust in the effectiveness of His blood, speak His glory and remain faithful to the death.
We are not nameless players. Jesus knows our names-even shedding His blood for us. It is not an inglorious effort. No one else may know our effort, but He knows, and He's the only one who counts. The foe is doomed. His time is short. He is not impossible. One day Satan's demise will be eternally sudden, airborne and painful. Death may come for us, but that is only the beginning of our victory. We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the testimony of our mouths. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment