Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14, 2010

2 Chronicles 16

Yesterday we saw some good aspects of Asa. He entered that training program of seeking the Lord with all of his heart, mind, soul and body. We saw that it is a difficult yet simple regimen. We saw that it is a training that lasts all of our lives. It never ends. Asa has now come along a few decades. He has reigned for 36 years. Israel has recovered from the blow Asa gave them in their youth. If seeking God is a life long training process, then Asa has slacked off in his training. Baasha, king of Israel, advanced a little on the border and took Ramah and fortified it. If Asa had been sharp in his training as he had been when he was young, then things may have turned out differently. When he was young, he stood strong in the face of the one-million-man Ethiopian army. He trusted the Lord. He led a revival in seeking the Lord. Now he relies on bribing Israel’s enemies to help him. The ploy worked, but at what cost? He aroused the displeasure of the Lord.

The Lord sent Hanani to speak the truth to him. Asa had Hanani thrown into prison. Asa had forsaken his regimen of repentance in his old age. I can almost hear the reasoning of Asa’s mind, “I have earned what I have. I’ve spent 36 years building this country. I have made wise decisions that have resulted in the welfare of this state. This seer surely has not heard from God but is an imposter. He deserves prison for speaking against the King. Lack of repentance usually results in more discipline. Asa received it. He developed some foot disease. What was it? We don’t know. But he lasted 5 more years and died. Was it from the foot disease? Perhaps, perhaps not. But this we know, “Yet, in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians.” He started so well. Yet he exchanged the glory of the Lord for security in his old age. Sounds like a horrible deal to me. Lord, keep me in training, even into my old age and dying breath. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Revelation 5

I remember once as a child falling asleep in the living room and having a dream. I really don't remember what was happening in the dream but only remember awaking with a sense of irreplaceable loss. It was a sense of hopelessness. Actually it was my mother who awoke me. I remember her asking me, "John what's wrong?" You see I was crying in my sleep. As I awoke, I knew only the sense of which I have already spoken. I told her, "I don't know. I was just dreaming, and it was sad."

The Apostle John in his vision sees this scroll sealed with seven seals. Some have suggested that it is the scroll to the title deed of the earth or of human history. And no one is found worthy enough to break the seals and open it. Having come out of a time of great persecution, John knows that the earth is under terrible irreplaceable loss of the sin of man and the oppression of the Evil One. And no one is found worthy to bring it to an end. That is irreplaceable loss. John wept.

But The Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals. He took the scroll. When He took the scroll, the elders proclaimed His worthiness because He was slain and redeemed them to God by His own blood. He is the worthy Lamb. Lion and Lamb at the same time. As a lion, He is the King of creation, ferocious and demanding and claiming His own. As a lamb, He is submissive and became the perfect sacrifice to pay the ransom for our sin. As a lion, He has the power to take the scroll. As a lamb, He has the right to take the scroll. Surely He is worthy!

Are you trapped in despair and sadness wrought by your sin and rebellion? There is One worthy of taking it and claiming it for His own and redeeming you from it. It is the Lord Jesus Christ, the Lion and the Lamb. Are you persecuted by those still trapped in despair and sadness of sin and rebellion? He is the One worthy of coming and rescuing you out of the pain of this world and into the glory of His kingdom. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment