Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 18, 2010

1 Chronicles 11-12
These two chapters are filled with the exploits of the mighty men of David. What impresses me the most about these chapters is really 13:16-18:
16Then some of the sons of Benjamin and Judah came to David at the stronghold. 17And David went out to meet them, and answered and said to them, “If you have come peaceably to me to help me, my heart will be united with you; but if to betray me to my enemies, since there is no wrong in my hands, may the God of our fathers look and bring judgment.” 18Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the captains, and he said:
“We are yours, O David;
We are on your side, O son of Jesse!
Peace, peace to you,
And peace to your helpers!
For your God helps you.”
So David received them, and made them captains of the troop.
Why did they come to David? They knew that only he could set them free, and they dearly wanted freedom. Why do we come to the Lord Jesus Christ? We come because only He can set us free from our sin and death. His glory is greater than that of David. Is He not worthy of our saying to Him:
“We are yours, O Jesus, son of David;
We are on your side, O son of Jesse!
Peace, peace to you,
And peace to your helpers!
For your God helps you.”
Do we really mean “we are yours?” What would happen in our lives if we really meant that? At the very least, He receives us and makes us captains in his troop. He does it all for His glory. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Hebrews 13
The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. When I consider who He is and have completely grasped that thought, then I am able to continue on in a holy life. Even though a brother in the Lord hates me, I can love him because the Lord is my helper. Even though He calls me to entertain a total stranger, I can do it because I might be entertaining Him. Even if I have a spouse that is not perfect, I can lover her or respect him because He will do it in me. Even though everybody around me has better 'stuff', I can be content because He is always with me. Jesus helped the saints in the past. Jesus has helped me in the past. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I can trust Him. When I focus on His glory, I am satisfied with His grace. I don't need any thing else.
Jesus is the One who suffered outside the city gates for me. He is the great Shepherd of me, who through His own body and blood cut a covenant. The end result of that covenant is that I will be made complete in every good work to do His will. He is faithful to the end. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment