Monday, November 1, 2010

November 1, 2010

2Kings 14
Sometimes drought comes. A spiritual drought brings dryness for seeing the glory of the Lord. In those seasons the word of the Lord is rare, even among those who name His name. In general, Amaziah did what was right in the sight of the Lord, yet he did not remove the high places that the people had built. His whole reign seems to be void of any occurrence of the glory of the Lord. Why? Perhaps because even though he did right in the sight of the Lord, he was still focused on his own glory. He probably did not stand up to the people to remove the high places because he was afraid how he would be seen by his own people. After some success in defeating the people of Edom, he thought himself strong enough to defeat Israel. Why would he even desire to defeat Israel? He wanted more glory for himself. Was the drought for the glory of the Lord result of Amaziah’s desire for glory for himself? Or, was the desire for glory for himself the result of the drought of the glory of the Lord? Or, were they both intertwined in a vicious tightening cycle that spiraled Amaziah down to defeat? Honestly, I am not sure that I can accurately separate them to clearly delineate cause and effect. But this I know, “At anytime Amaziah could have broken out of the cycle if He wanted it bad enough. Do I want it bad enough? Do I really want to see the glory of God? Or, do I just want to be comfortable. Do I really want to see the glory of God, or do I just want to my own glory to be seen? Oh God help me come to the end of myself before I spiral into defeat! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!--Pastor john

Titus 2
The glory of Jesus has appeared to all men. Now, that is a bold statement! Indeed it has appeared. God's grace was revealed in the Lord Jesus Christ when He became flesh and went to the cross and rose again on the third day. That historical event is available to be seen by all who would desire to see it. I can already hear the objection of some who might say, "What about those people who live in lands where the gospel is not allowed to be preached?" My reply is that even there the grace of God has appeared, especially to those who would see it.
I am reminded of an article in a recent A Life issue. The article was written by a worker in country which does not allow the gospel to be preached. At the end of their language training in the country, his language teacher told him, "About 4 months before you came to our country, I had a dream that a man approached me with a sword and offered it to me. You were that man in my dream. What was the sword that you were offering to me?" The worker was able to present a Bible to the language teacher and say, "This is the sword that I offered you in the dream. It is the word of God." You see, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ has appeared to all men. It is available to all through the reading of His word.
It is also available for all to see in us when we receive that grace and let it do its work of teaching us to deny ungodliness and worldliness and to live holy lives. His grace has appeared it is seen in His word and in our lives. His glory is visible!
One day Jesus will appear visibly to all. For those who have received His grace it will be a glorious day because we will see Him in His fullness. For those who have not received His grace, it will be a glorious day because they will see Him as the great coming judge. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment