Monday, September 13, 2010

September 11, 2001

2 Corinthians 4
The glory of Jesus shines constantly and overwhelmingly. Two days ago, I was sitting on the deck. The sun was shining. I closed my eyes and turned my face toward the sun to let its heat flood over my skin. Even with my eyes closed, the brilliance and glory of the sun seemed to penetrate right through my eyelids and almost hurt my eyes. I couldn't take if very long. I had to quit. I went inside. The sun shines constantly, whether I am outside or inside, whether cloudy or clear, whether day or night. Positioning myself to see its glory has no effect on its strength or glory, only on my ability to perceive it.
So also, the glory of the Lord Jesus shines constantly; whether, I am positioned to perceive it or not. His glory includes His death, resurrection and ascension. We like to speak of the glory of the ascension and sharing in that. But sharing in His death is not too exciting. We sometimes hide ourselves from the death aspect. Sometimes our flesh, the world or the enemy seeks to hide that aspect of His glory. Unbelievers cannot see it at all because they have chosen to let the god of this age veil their eyes.
Paul was constantly harassed. Look at the words that he uses: pressed, perplexed, persecuted, struck down. But those things could not defeat him. Why? Because the light of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ was shining upon him, as it does upon us. As he looked at the glory of Jesus, he realized that he was sharing in His glory. If we share in His ascension, we must also share in His death. A focus on the glory of Jesus enabled Paul to not lose heart. So it is with us. A focus on the glory of Christ will not allow us to lose heart. But we shall bask in the light of His glory, even in the midst of suffering and death. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment