Friday, July 24, 2015

July 24


JUDGES 7
In 2007 I had the privilege of preaching in a church in Senegal. The Lord impressed upon me to preach from this passage. I had two interpreters. One translated into French and the other translated into Wolof. As I came to the portion where I spoke about the number of men in the camps, an argument broke out in the congregation with the interpreter. I wasn’t sure what was going on. A missionary who spoke French walked up behind me and said, “Apparently there is a disagreement about how to translate the numbers into Wolof.” I think that Wolof is a base five counting system while French and English are base ten. The mathematical computations were a bit complex to do in the head. So those who spoke both French & Wolof were in disagreement on the accuracy of the translation of the numbers. From that point on, I tried not to use numbers but emphasized that God wanted Gideon to reduce his army to a very small army to fight a very huge army. The point was the glory of the Lord. God does not need our help, but wants us to see Him do mighty and impossible things through us. In that way we learn how great He is.
So I need to remind myself that as the odds against me begin to wax astronomically high, God may be doing that on purpose in order to show his glory to, in and through me. Wow, that can be really scary, but what a privilege! The next time I come against incredible odds, I need to remember this and let God show His glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

PSALM 23
Hands down, this is one of the most popular and widely used portions of Scripture to encourage and bring comfort to people. It is widely used to read at funerals and to read at times of extreme health problems. I have had friends who raised sheep. I have read Phillip Keller’s, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23. It is not very flattering to be called a sheep. Sheep are dumb, defenseless, dirty (3D) animals that require constant attention if the flock is to be prosperous. David knew that as a shepherd. That is why he picked shepherd as a metaphor concerning the relationship between God and himself and His people. You see the focus of the Psalm is to explain what God is like in relation to His people. The focus is God. If we are talking about how great God is in comparison to us, then it is an appropriate metaphor.
It is His greatness that feeds, waters and restores our souls. He is the One who makes me capable of living a righteous life. When I have no ability to walk righteously, He enables me. When death surrounds me or my loved ones, He is with me. His tools of correction and protection are ever with me. Even when I am surrounded by enemies, He enables me to relax and I can eat without threat of them. Sheep often have problems with parasites invading the ears. The result could drive a sheep insane with the irritation. Oil poured in the ear would drown the parasite and bring relief. His anointing oil brings healing to the irritations of life brought to me by parasites. He gives me more than enough to satisfy my thirsty life. Goodness and mercy are always following me. To top it off, I get to go live in His house when I die. What more could I ask? All of this is because of His Glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

JEREMIAH 49
The Lord takes us on a tour of the ancient enemies of Israel. First we head straight east to Ammon. Many battles have been fought there. During the time of the Judges, the Ammonites harassed the Israelites. Joab took the capital, Rabbah while David stayed at home and got into trouble with Bathsheba. Going south of the Dead Sea, we come to Edom. It is famous for its rocky heights where the inhabitants built cities that were easily defended because of their high cliffs. The most famous of these is Petra developed by the Nabateans much after Jeremiah’s time. Teman was probably about 5 miles east of Petra. The Lord then takes us north to Damascus, the capital of Syria, certainly a vicious enemy of Israel, even to this day. Then we turn southeast to Kedar and Hazor belonging to what we call Arabia. Next we move to Elam. It occupied the southern end of modern Iraq/Iran on the mouth of the Euphrates River. Today it is oil rich. It was the people living in this area that Saddam Hussein was accused of practicing genocide by using weapons of mass destruction.
Where is the glory of God in this prophecy of destruction? It illustrates a principle articulated by the Apostle Paul 650 years after Jeremiah. These nations had historically troubled Israel. Through Jeremiah God gave them warning about their troubling Israel. Paul says in 2 Thessalonians 1:6, “It is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you.” These nations will not get away with their violence toward Israel. It may take years yet, but they will receive just retribution. They are given fair warning to repent, and some are even given these promises of hope after judgment takes place:
1. Ammon- “But afterward I will bring back the captives of the people of Ammon,” says the LORD.”
2. Edom- “Leave your fatherless children, I will preserve them alive; And let your widows trust in Me.”
3. Damascus is left without a promise of hope.
4. Kedar and Hazor are left without a promise of hope.
5. Elam-it shall come to pass in the latter days: I will bring back the captives of Elam,’ says the LORD.”
So in today’s passage we see the righteousness of God as He warns the nations of impending doom but also holds out a ray of hope for restoration. That is His glory. We also see His veracity for each of these nations were indeed subdued by Nebuchadnezzar, as prophesied. That is His glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

ACTS 25
First Lysias, then Felix, then Festus, then King Agrippa, Paul is beginning to rack up a veritable “Who’s Who” of people to whom he has given his defense. Every time the only thing that surfaces is that Paul believes in a certain dead man named Jesus whom Paul asserts to be alive. In this Jesus is glorified, when the only evil that people can speak of us it that we believe in the resurrection of Jesus. What was Paul guilty of? Healing the sick, raising the dead but His greatest crime was believing in the resurrection and preaching it. May His tribe increase! Soon Paul will have opportunity to speak the glory of Christ to Caesar. Who was this Agrippa? This Agrippa was the son of Herod Agrippa I and great-grandson of Herod the Great. Herod Agrippa I was the one who persecuted the Christians in Jerusalem (Acts 12:1–23) during his reign in Judea from A.D. 41 until his death in A.D. 44. You remember the guy. God struck him with worms because he did not give God glory. Agrippa 1 died. If I were Agrippa II, I think I would give Paul a serious hearing. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment