Wednesday, July 15, 2015

July 15


JOSHUA 22
As I write, I am 60 years old. I have five children. My oldest son is 35; he has 4 children. My second son will turn 33 in September; he has one living child. My third son is 30; he is unmarried. My daughter is 26; she is unmarried. My fourth son is 16. Obviously, I am not done raising the youngest, and I have just begun with grandkids. One of my greatest desires for them is that they would see and participate in the glory of the Lord on a daily basis. I am convinced that if anyone can truly reflect upon and yield to His glory on a daily basis, then the other things in life will somehow fall into place. How do I pass on the passion to see and experience His glory? Most people are very successful at passing on their traditions, but do they really pass on the ability to seek Him? Observing traditional worship and daily seeing His glory are two entirely different animals. I am not sure that I have really mastered the art of daily seeing His glory; my heart is just too unruly. How do I pass it on to my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids?
The 2.5 tribes who claimed the land east of the Jordan were concerned about passing on the right to see the glory of the Lord. After all, the Lord had told them that the nation should build only one altar. It should be located with the tabernacle. The purpose was for the children of Israel to bring their sacrifices there, where they would be taught by the priests. It was meant to keep purity of the faith. The tabernacle was the only place where the glory of God would dwell. The eastern tribes were concerned that future generations might prevent their descendants from seeing the glory of God at the tabernacle. So, they built an altar at the Jordan. The altar was to be a reminder that they also had a right to share in the experiencing the glory of God by worshipping at the tabernacle.
In Deuteronomy 13:12-18 it is recorded that God instructed the Children of Israel that if any of their people should build an altar to entice people to seek other gods, those people should be put to death. You can imagine what turmoil into which the nation was cast when the other tribes discovered that the eastern tribes had built an unauthorized altar. The nation was on the verge of a civil war. The eastern tribes quickly explained themselves. The explanation was very pleasing to the western tribes, and they left in peace.
How do I build an altar so that my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids will see the glory of the Lord? I think part of it is reading the Scripture daily with them and asking about the glory of the Lord. They are bombarded constantly by other media all day long. They need to participate a little each day with me in seeking Him. As they grow older, they need to learn to do it on their own. It is not just about traditional worship forms at church; although, those things might be needed. It is about their experiencing authentic worship with me and with others as they grow up. Maybe this book will help. Maybe you need to write your own book or songs that you can pass on to your kids. Maybe I need to challenge them to write their own books and songs. All I know is that when one has truly seen the glory of God, one will be drawn into him. Who can resist Him? Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

PSALM 14
There are times when it seems that everyone is against me. David seems to look around and see no one but sinners. In Romans 3:10-12 Paul quotes some of the first 3 verses of this Psalm in order. On the one hand, David sees God looking down and seeing no one but sinners. On the other hand, he sees God looking down on a generation of righteous people. It is as if there is a divide in the culture. Then David expresses a desire that the captivity of the people would be restored. It seems as if there is a generational divide. When did David’s people ever experience a captivity? I would think that it was in the time when he fled from Absalom to the eastern side of the Jordan. It would have seemed to David at that time that everyone was against him.
Where is the glory of God in all of this? When I think that I am drowning in a sea of wicked people, like David I can cry out, “O, that salvation would come out of Zion!” We can have that certainty that salvation is coming. When it comes, salvation is from Him! It brings Him glory. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

JEREMIAH 40
Forty-one years ago I was between my Freshman and Sophomore years in college. I was still a youth living in Ocean City, NJ, for the summer. I had a number of people in those days that believed in me and felt that the Lord had “significant” ministry for me, and they communicated it to me. It has been a long haul, not as burdensome as Jeremiah’s ministry, but a long haul. I had two long-term pastorates in small churches, and I am currently serving a third one. Statistically one might not describe these ministries as significant. Neither of the former churches ever averaged over 90 people in Sunday morning attendance for a year. Neither of the previous churches exists anymore. They were both closed after I left. Statistically, would you describe them as significant ministries? I am 60 now. What’s going on here?
It had been a long haul. Jeremiah was called by the Lord into ministry as a youth in the 13th year of Josiah’s reign (about 627 B.C.).* Jerusalem had now been destroyed (586 B.C.). It has been 40-41 years that Jeremiah has been in the saddle. From a fleshly standpoint, Jeremiah’s ministry has not been very flashy. His ministry was to tear down the existing government and spiritual climate in order to plant a new and holy one.** Because of the nature of his ministry, the Lord did not allow him to marry.*** His preaching was considered to be seditious. He was often jailed and mistreated for speaking God’s word to the nation. Many times Jeremiah wanted to resign his appointment from the Lord, but the Lord’s word was like fire in his bones. He had only a handful of friends who looked out for him. While other prophets had been killed, Jeremiah survived because the Lord raised up those friends to look out for him.**** His word came true on every detail. Jerusalem is now rubble, not fit to live in. Her princes, talented and/or wealthy people are now either dead or in exile. It had indeed been a long haul. After 40 years of on target ministry, Jeremiah could indeed have said, “I told you so.” He does not record such a statement.
The Babylonian king appoints a Jewish governor. He selects Gedaliah, the son of Ahikam, the son of Shaphan. Why him? Notice who Gedaliah’s father was, Ahikam. In chapter 26 it is Ahikam’s intervention that saves Jeremiah’s life. The king of Babylon’s political and military intelligence was sufficient to know what Jeremiah had prophesied concerning him and to know who had supported Jeremiah. The appointment of Gedaliah as governor was the hand of the Lord’s favor for Ahikam’s righteous act using the hand of the Babylonian king. Yes, God is controlling individual lives even in the midst of orchestrating international events. Now that is sovereignty! Obviously, Gedaliah did not use good wisdom in deciding whom to trust, but at least he was given opportunity to trust the Lord to plant a new government in God’s kingdom.
Yes, it had been a long haul. Jeremiah must be at least in his fifties by now. Things never seem to have been too pleasant for him, yet everything he has said or done has come to pass as the Lord instructed him. Had I the ability to go to Jeremiah right after his calling as a youth and to tell him what the nature of his life would be like, would I tell him, “God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?” It is somewhat a matter of perspective. We learn of God’s love for Israel through Jeremiah*****. But what kind of strange love is this that destroys the nation He loves? His love demands holiness and purity and only destruction could bring it. We learn of God’s plan for Israel through Jeremiah.****** But what kind of plan is it that completely destroys the nation in order to remake it? What kind of love and plan is it that takes the object of its affection and imprisons and deprives it in order to make it thrive? If I could go to Jeremiah when he was a youth, would I speak about God’s wonderful love and plan? Oh, indeed I would, but I would make sure it was communicated from the right perspective.
I don’t think God necessarily defines significance in terms of statistics or numbers. Rather He defines significance in terms of His glory! Jeremiah now is considered one of the greatest prophets, he won no awards in his day. The glory of the Lord explodes through his ministry! We truly learn about faithfulness, love, successful plans etc. through him. We learn that the important thing is the glory of God, not our own. Has my life been significant? Maybe not in the world’s sight. I cannot give you any good statistics of numbers. But I know that there is a significant crisis pregnancy center in South Oklahoma City because the Lord raised one up through the church while I pastored there. Hundreds of lives have been significantly changed for the glory of God because of the ministry of that cpc. I know that the Lord raised up a Christian school through the ministry of the congregation in Southport. I know that many children have been significantly directed toward the glory Lord Jesus Christ because of the ministry of that school. Also, I know that the Lord changed a few lives for His glory in those churches while we were there. These will forever be testimonies of His glory. When we get to heaven, I don’t think anyone will ask about what the average attendance of our church was, but I do believe that all creation will want to hear about how His glory was displayed. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john
* Jeremiah 1:1-2
** Jeremiah 1:10
*** Jeremiah 16:1-4
**** Jeremiah 26:20-24
***** Jeremiah 31:3
****** Jeremiah 29:11

ACTS 19:21-41
“Follow the money.” It’s a familiar saying in our culture. If you really want to know what and why things are happening, just follow the money. It has always been true, even in Ephesus. Diana brought in a great trade in the sale of idols. And you know that people are serious about a different God when they burn the books of their old gods in order to follow this new God and the value of the books is in the category of millions of dollars. Demetrius the silversmith was worried. His income was drastically cut as a result of this new God that Paul had been proclaiming. It didn’t matter that the sick were healed and that people were set free from their demonic bondage. All that mattered to Demetrius was the money. Follow the money. The glory of Jesus was irrelevant to him.
Sad to say we are often like Demetrius. When push comes to shove, the glory of Jesus just isn't as important as the money. That is why Paul prayed for the Ephesians that they would see the riches of the glory of His (Jesus) inheritance in the saints (Eph. 1:18). When we understand the value of His glory and that that value is greatest when He changes lives, then the value of money loses its appeal. No longer is it 'follow the money' but it becomes, 'follow the glory'. His glory is great, especially when it changes your life. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment