Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 31

2 Kings 13 “John, you need to be bolder in your witness.” Man it’s uncomfortable when somebody corrects you, especially when you know they are right. The young woman and I were returning from going out to invite youth to a revival service which my brother was preaching. I no longer remember her name, but I do remember she was right. By nature I am a very reserved person lacking any self-confidence. Even when I know I am in the right, I just have trouble being zealous about it. I can’t help but think that if I could somehow shed this lack of zeal in my very personality, then greater victories are possible. God dealt graciously with Jehoash, or Joash. Note that he continued to walk in the sins of his fathers by mixing worship of Yahweh with the worship of idols. God allowed the country to be reduced by Syria to an army of a mere fifty horsemen, and ten chariots, and ten thousand footmen. But as we have seen before when God reduces someone, it can be an opportunity for God to show His glory through them. Elisha was dying. The little good left in Joash is seen by his decision to visit Elisha on his deathbed. The words from his mouth were, “O my father, my father, the chariots of Israel and their horsemen!” These are the exact same words that Elisha had elicited upon the departure of Elijah on the chariots of fire. After Elijah’s departure, Elisha picked up Elijah’s mantle and declared, “Where is the God of Elijah?” Elijah had at least 7 miracles recorded. Elisha asked for a double portion of Elijah’s spirit and performed at least 14 miracles. Was Joash actually hoping for a similar enablement from Yahweh? Elisha sees a spark of possibility in Joash. He first teaches him with the metaphor of an arrow of the Lord giving him victory over Syria. Then he tries to draw out of Joash that commitment to unite with Yahweh in zealous battle against the enemy. Elisha gives Joash a handful of arrows and commands him to strike the ground with them. Not understanding, Joash tentatively strikes the ground three times. His tentativeness is representative of his commitment to the Lord. Elisha is furious. Joash could have complete victory if he would just wholeheartedly unite with the Lord, but he won’t. Consequently, he will have to settle for only three victories over Syria. On a positive note, even three victories with only fifty horsemen, ten chariots and ten thousand footmen is impressive, but could have had complete victory! Lord, how often have I failed to obtain all that You have for me simply because I lacked the zeal to follow through on completing what you have commanded? That is a scary thought, and a thought so full of promise. You want so much to reveal Your glory in and through me, but I fall short because like Joash, I will not completely abandon myself to Your glory alone. O let me see Your glory so clearly that I cannot but help to abandon myself in You! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment