Thursday, October 17, 2013

October 16

1 Kings 19 I think it was February 14, 1981. I was in my house in Portland, Oregon studying for a Greek exam. A low rumble like a giant truck going down the street began. As it increased, the bookshelves on the wall in front of me began to bounce. It finally dawned upon me, “This is not a truck.” I turned on the radio, and sure enough, I had experienced my first felt earthquake. It was November 5, 2011; OSU was playing Kansas State University. OSU defeated KSU in a dramatic finish in the closing minute of the game. Seconds later, as the fans left the stadium, the ground literally rumbled under a slight earthquake. The next day, November 6, 2011, Oklahoma trembled under a 5.6 magnitude earthquake. Later that night flash floods and hail storms swept through the state, and on Nov. 7 the largest November tornado on record swept through the state. I am not sure, but I would guess that during that time our fire department responded to a fire somewhere in our community. Earthquakes, tornados and fires, they are all dramatic events which are pegged in our memories and fill the headlines or our newspapers. They are full of power to change and alter lives. Elijah had been used by God to stop the rain from falling for 3 years, been fed by ravens, caused flour and oil to miraculously multiply, raised a boy from the dead, called fire down from heaven, killed 450 false prophets and caused the rain to fall again. He could do this because he knew and trusted the glory of God. But when Jezebel threatens to kill him, he ran like a scared rabbit. What’s up with that? After he ran south to Horeb, Sinai, the Lord asks him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” Note that Elijah’s answer is focused upon himself not the glory of God, “I have been very zealous. . . I am the only one left. . . they seek to take my life.” So what does God do? He sends him out of his cave to stand on the mountain and experience wind, earthquake and fire. I have experienced tornadic weather. It is exhilarating to say the least! I’ve been in earthquakes. It is indeed a fearful happening. My house has burned down. I was powerless to stop it. They were all dramatic events, I did not meet God in the tornados or the earthquakes or in the fire, but in those events God did speak to me. It was not an audible voice. It was in the stillness of my spirit. It was an impression in my mind, heart and spirit. God simply said, “I love you, and I am with you.” The drama did not cease, but I knew that He was with me. It was not in the dramatic events that Elijah met God, it was in the still small voice. I tend to think of the glory of God as being the dramatic big events, winning the victory, shaking the earth, blowing buildings away, burning up things, but really His glory is found every bit as much, if not more, in His still small voice in the midst of life’s drama, heartaches, victories, defeats, amazements, he speaks softly. It is the relationship of the Infinite One stooping down to me as the finite one and whispering, “I love you and I am with you. Be still and know that I am God.” Yes, I am replaceable, but He will stoop down in my despair and lift me up. In the still small voice He asks me in my despair, “What are you doing here?” The dramatic deliverance wasn’t enough. I need to hear His still small voice. It calms my soul and restores me. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john On top of Mount Sinai. Somewhere in this rugged terrain Elijah hid in a cave, experienced earthquake, wind and fire, but the most life changing event was the still small voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment