Thursday, October 27, 2011

October 26

Jonah 1
It is easy to throw stones at Jonah. He, as a prophet of the Lord, should have known that one cannot escape the presence of God. He, as a prophet would have read David’s 139th Psalm, “Where can I flee from your presence, O Lord?” But then, he would also know that there is the omnipresence of God and then there is the manifest presence of God. He was seeking to escape the manifest presence of God. Wow, with all the talk of seeking the manifest presence of God, here is a man who had experienced it, but wanted to flee! He knew it could cost him something, his life. Oh but it was more than his physical life that it could cost him. It included the price tag of forgiving ones whom he hated culturally. The Assyrians had brought much warfare to Israel, and eventually would destroy the country. They were a harsh people and deeply hated by Israelites. Not only would he be fraternizing with the enemy, but he would raise the eyebrows of many an Israelite. But wouldn’t all those things be worth the trouble of his life, forgiving his enemy and risking the ire of his follow Israelites, apparently not to Jonah.
Yes, it is easy to throw stones at Jonah. But am I, are we, any different? In order to experience the true manifest presence of God and His miraculous power flowing through me, am I willing to trade my life, forgive my enemy, risk being viewed by those closest to me as a traitor, fanatic or idiot? Do I choose to cling to the glory of the Lord because I understand that it is of infinite more worth than my puny life, my petty grudges or the approval of my peers? Lord, what a weak minded and willed man that I am! Deliver me such petty thoughts of You! I lay everything at Your feet for Your glory is worth it all! Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment