Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12

Hosea 14
It was a PTA meeting where all the kids came and we played outside while the adults did whatever it is that adults do in PTA meetings. I was having a blast with my friends. But all good things come to an end. My mother, who was also a teacher, was very tired, so she went on home. (We only lived a block from the school.) There were still a few families at the school who had friends my age. I wanted to stay. So I did. After a while my mother sent my older brother to tell me that it was time to come home. I was having too much fun, so I refused. As older brothers are sometimes prone to do, he tried to force me to come home. I wiggled and squirmed and managed to escape. He gave up the chase and went on home. I played for only a couple of minutes and then all of my friends were gone. The school yard isn’t so much fun alone. Now I had to deal with disobeying my mom and return home. Funny how long one block can be when you know you’ve been disobedient and you are not sure what the reception will be at the other end.
He calls us to return to Him. By the end of Hosea we find how repugnant our adulterous heart toward God is to Him. Yet even at this, He calls us to return to Him. He encourages us to say to Him, “Take away our iniquity, and receive us graciously.” If He encourages us to seek that of Him, then it must be that He is willing to do that. He encourages us to say that we will no longer say to the works of our hands, “You are our gods.” How insulting it must be to Him that we worship our own creation! Yet is it not what do so readily? Are not our jobs, our lands, our cars, yes even our families often more important than Him? Yet He calls us to return to Him. In Him we will find mercy. He will heal our backsliding. He will love us freely.
The one block was a long walk home. I wasn’t sure how I would be received. Yes, I received a strong rebuke when I arrived home, but I did find mercy. That is what we find with our Lord when we truly repent. He will love us freely. Why do we wait so long to repent? Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment