Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 6, 2011

Isaiah 3
“All rise for the Honorable . . . “ I have had many occasions to attend court with people with whom I am serving. Usually the court session begins with the above quote as the bailiff prepares the court room for the judge’s entrance. The court room is still one of the few vestiges of honor left in our society. No one, even the attorneys, questions the honor of a judge in the court room. We may wail upon them outside the courtroom, but in the courtroom, the judge is held in high esteem. In the court room, the judge reigns supreme. It must be that way for justice to remain just. In this chapter Isaiah declares:
The LORD takes his place in court
and presents his case against his people!
14 The LORD comes forward to pronounce judgment
on the elders and rulers of his people:
“You have ruined Israel, my vineyard.
Your houses are filled with things stolen from the poor.
15 How dare you crush my people,
grinding the faces of the poor into the dust?”
demands the Lord, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies.
The Lord is a just judge. In this court room scene, He is bringing in wealthy rulers of Israel who have abused the poor in order to advance their own cause. I wonder how often we abuse the poor in our own society in order to advance our own cause. Yes, I know that most of the time the poor are in the court room because of their own willful breaking of the law. But, how often do the rich not even get brought into the court room because of the connections they have because of their wealth. Not so with the Lord! He is a just judge, and He despises an unjust scale. All of the guilty are brought into His courtroom! And the gavel comes swinging down, “Guilty as charged!”
Fortunately, we have an advocate in the Lord Jesus. His blood cries out for those who repent and believe in Him, “The penalty is paid!” Mercy triumphs over judgment. When mercy triumphs over judgment in my life, how can I ever not extend mercy to my brother or sister who has wounded me? I cannot. Why? Because I am so wonderful? No! Because He is so wonderful! He, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, is a just judge, but He is also merciful. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment