Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 3, 2011

Song of Songs 8
The Shulamite is delighted that they are now on their way home in her beloved shepherd’s arms. She desires to kiss him, it is culturally inappropriate at this point. Her reference to wishing that he were his brother is so that she would not be despised at showing inappropriate affection. She gives one last charge to the daughters of Jerusalem to not to try to tempt her back to Solomon. In verse 5a we see Solomon’s cry of disgust as he realizes that he is losing the Shulamite to this simple shepherd of the wilderness. In verses 6-7 we hear her request of her shepherd to be faithful to her forever. Her love for Him has become like an unquenchable flame. As they continue home she reminisces of when younger her older brothers set some parameters upon her for her moral purity. She now concludes, “I am a wall.” She has remained morally pure even under the strongest wooing of Solomon the King! Solomon has a thousand vineyards with other women to enjoy them. She has but one vineyard which she will enjoy with her beloved shepherd. Back at home as she prepares for her wedding night, she hears her beloved shepherd out in the garden speaking with his companions. She calls him back in. Come quickly!
So where is the glory of the Lord Jesus in this? Is His glory so wonderful to us that we would endure all the temptations of this world for Him? Indeed, to be wooed by Solomon the “richest and wisest” man on earth at the time would have been very tempting. She could have lived a life of ease, comfort and pleasure. She could have lived a life with servants constantly waiting upon her. She would have passed through life with no cares. But the love of her shepherd was far more wonderful. Do we view Jesus this way? I am reminded of the song I’d Rather Have Jesus. The lyrics were written by Rhea F. Miller and the tune written by George Beverly Shea.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway,
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than world-wide fame,
I’d rather be true to His holy name.

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out of the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs,
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.
That is the glory of my Jesus. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment