Friday, March 25, 2011

March 25, 2011

Ecc 11
"I'm twenty-one and strong as I can be. I know what freedom means to me. I can't give a reason why. I should ever wanna die,” so go lyrics to the song “Twenty-one” released on an Eagles album in 1973. If you are as old as I and are an Eagles fan, then I am sure you remember the song. It probably captured the rebellion and idealism of my generation better than any other pop song. The whole album was an idealistic comparison between being rock and roll stars and being outlaws. Our generation was on the edge of the moralistic protest concerning war, racism and ‘free love,’ and the completely ‘me’ focused generation that was to follow.
When I review my youth and my contemporaries, I cringe a little at the Preacher’s advice here: “Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth; walk in the ways of your heart, and in the sight of your eyes.” The NKJV commentary has a footnote to ‘ways’ and ‘in the sight’. It would seem that a good way to translate it would be, ‘impulses of your heart, And as you see to be best.’ I think of the impulses of my heart as a youth and of my generation when we were young, and I see a mixed bag. I see at times an unbridled immorality and at times a passion for what we thought was right. Youth had an optimism that time and experience has dimmed. That optimism should be applauded. However, youth also had an impulsiveness that led many down a path of unrighteousness under the sun and moon.
But the Preacher did not leave them there. He follows-up his advice with, “But know that for all these, God will bring you into judgment.” There is more than just life ‘under the sun’. As the Scripture says, “It is appointed unto men once to die, and after this comes judgment.” One day believers will stand before the judgment seat of Christ. We must give an account for all our deeds done on the earth. For those deeds done in the power of the Holy Spirit we will receive reward. Those deeds done in the power of the flesh will be burned away. One day unbelievers will stand before the great white throne of Jesus and they will be judged according to their works and cast in to the lake of fire. If in our youth we really believed those two judgments were going to happen, how would it change how we lived our lives?
Twenty-one passed me by almost 34 years ago. I still know what freedom means to me. It means knowing Jesus and sacrificing everything for Him. It is not being able to do what my impulses tell me. That is bondage under the sun. It is knowing what is right and doing it in the power of the Holy Spirit. I can give several reasons why I want to die and why I want to live. I want to live because in so doing, He gives me opportunity in the power of His Holy Spirit to glorify His magnificent name! I want to die because in so doing, I will be able to directly experience His glory. That is much better than living. But for Him, I pursue His glory here and now. If the impulse of my heart is truly to experience His glory, then, old or young, let me pursue it with all that I am! Lord, give me that mountain! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment