Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 5, 2010

Joshua 7

The Lord was fiercely angry with Israel because of Achan’s sin. Is that glory? To my American mindset, it does not sound fair. That is what independence is all about in America. It is the right of the individual. One of my students turned in an solution argument paragraph dealing with crime. As an example of how to deal with crime she cited China, which does not mess with criminals. If you are caught in a wrong, you are severely dealt with. Now I am not suggesting that we emulate China’s justice system; however, I do think that some other cultures have a better understanding of corporate guilt than we do. I also think that some other cultures have a better understanding of justice than we do. Achan’s sin was the county’s sin. It was right that God was angry with it. It violated the truth that God was the sole source of provision for their need. He was rightly offended. And His anger was fierce. I am glad that God is fiercely angry with sin. If he were not, there would be no justice.

There is a unique command that Joshua gives Achan, “Give glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.” Achan does it. He is punished. God is glorified in his confession and in his punishment. I don’t quite get it, but I believe God is glorified in it! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor john

Acts 13:36-52

The glory of Jesus is that He defeated sin on the cross and death in His resurrection. That seems to be the essence of Paul's messages whether his audience is Jew or Gentile. That message still overwhelms me when I take the time to focus on it. The eternal, holy God, the Creator of all things, became sin on my behalf and died on my behalf and rose again on my behalf. Why don't more people see that glory? In Antioch of Pisidia Paul was light of the glory of Jesus to both Jew and Gentle. That light received a mixed reception. When a bright light shines brightly in the presence of a totally blind person and blind person does not see it, it is not the fault of the light. The problem lies with the blind person. They lack the receptors to see the light. The glory of Jesus is that He breaks through our inability and enables us to see. Herein lies the mystery of the sovereignty of God, which frankly I have neither ability to comprehend or explain. People can't believe because they won't and won't believe because they can't. God breaks the cycle for some by appointing them to eternal life. In breaking that cycle He commands us to speak His glory to all. As we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we are enabled to speak light into darkness and He shines, making us lights for salvation to the ends of the earth. Are you filled with His Spirit? Indeed, we serve a glorious king! Speak His glory to someone today!

--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment