Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 21, 2010

John 7:1-24
Jesus knew His time, and He sought the Father's glory. Do I know my time, and do I seek the Father's Glory? The average age at which my four grandparents died is about 88 years of age. Assuming no accidents or disease, similar genetic livelihood, better lifelong living conditions, improved medical practices and that I take care of my body properly (all of which are pretty big assumptions), I could very well live to be 95+. Hmmm… If that is true I have 41+ years left to live. Well, I am past the half-way mark. Okay kids, you are going to be senior citizens before you get any inheritance from me. Of course that assumes that I have anything worth giving you and that I live that long. But I really don't have that guarantee that I will live that long. My time is always ready. Even if I do live that long or longer, my grandmother, who lived to be 104, spent the last 10 years of her life suffering from Alzheimer’s. I could very well have a similar fate.
But Jesus knew when He was going to die. Wow, that would be interesting. I wonder, “Why did He pack all His ministry in those last 3+ years of His life?” If I knew the day I was going to die, I'd probably procrastinate a lot of things. But I don't believe Jesus procrastinated anything. He always did things in the fullness of time. I think those first 30 years of His life were spent in three major areas:
1. Preparing for the last 3+ years
2. Fulfilling commitment to His family
3. Working and enjoying life
He told His brothers that His time wasn't ready, but theirs was always ready. That is a picture of a masterfully planned life. I am really amazed.
All of His work was done to glorify the Father. There was no unrighteous work in Him. What do we live for as Americans? We live to retire so that we can spend our time and money on ourselves. What a waste! Some years ago I heard John Piper give a sermon on missions. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I do remember that the gist of it was that we should retire so that we can become missionaries. Retire to go to the field to give our lives to the glory of God and the service of others! Hmmm. . . Interesting idea. I have some questions about the practicality of it. But it sure would beat other ways of dying. I did have the privilege of meeting Armin Guesswein late in his life. He died at around 90. He was ministering to others right up until the end. Like Jesus His whole life was to glorify God. Sure he began to slow down later in life; that is expected. But he still had a passion for sharing Jesus. Why? Because he had a glimpse of the glory of Jesus--it was the glory of the Father, full of grace and truth. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment