Monday, May 17, 2010

May 15, 2010

May 15 John 4:31-54
I remember hearing Josh McDowell tell the story of his early days in CCC, before he became famous. Part of his summer duties at headquarters one summer was cleaning restrooms. Coming out of the restroom with toilet brush in hand, he bumped into Dr. Bright and Billy Graham. Dr. Bright introduced the two. It was a rather inglorious beginning for Josh, a lesson in humility. But Josh continued in a task that was inglorious because he was under authority. He learned to clean toilets for God. In that sense He was becoming Christ-like.
Jesus was talking with a Samaritan woman. That was social suicide for a Jewish Rabbi of His day. Yet He was doing it because it was what the Father desired. Jesus got such a rush from doing the Father’s will that He compared it to being as satisfying as eating. It was His nourishment, His food.
There have been a few time in my life where I didn’t like what I was doing (cleaning toilets, a commercial kitchen grease trap, etc.) At those times I have had to come to the Lord and say, “Lord, I detest this activity, but You ask it of me. So I am doing it for You because You desire it of me.” When I have made that choice, he makes the work satisfying! He makes it pleasant.
That’s His glory! He makes doing menial or unpleasant tasks enjoyable! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment