Tuesday, December 1, 2015

December 1


1 CHRONICLES 29
Most Americans abide by the golden rule which states, “He who has the gold rules.” The Israelites rejoiced at the opportunity to give their gold away for the building of the Temple of the Lord. With a loyal heart they offered their gold willingly. As we saw yesterday, that is the kind of a heart that the Lord is looking for in us. If he asked us, would we willingly with a loyal heart give all that He asks of us? He does ask for it all. He does not ask for just 10% of our money. He does not ask for just our money. He asks for all of our time, talents, family, everything. We are merely stewards. If we have loyal and willing hearts, we rejoice when He says, “Give this, or do this, or go there.” We rejoice because it gives us opportunity to be part of bringing greater glory to Him. Am I willing to give Him the gold, or time, or whatever because He rules? When I obey, is it an object of rejoicing because He rules?
They were able to rejoice because they knew it all belonged to Him anyway. Look at what David says:
14 But who am I, and who are my people,
That we should be able to offer so willingly as this?
For all things come from You,
And of Your own we have given You.
15 For we are aliens and pilgrims before You,
As were all our fathers;
Our days on earth are as a shadow, And without hope.
It is pretty clear. We don’t own anything. He owns it all. When I lived in North Carolina, our congregation regularly had joint services with some of the black congregations in town. At least one of the congregations had a tradition that after the offering was received, the ushers brought it back to the front, lifted it up and everyone broke into a song with these words, “All things come from Thee.” If that is truly sung from the heart, I really like it. It is a great reminder of who I am, and who God is, and to whom all this stuff around me belongs.
But what is this line, “For we are aliens and pilgrims before You, As were all our fathers; Our days on earth are as a shadow, And without hope?” Without hope? How can one rejoice and say that at the same time? Well if we truly understand that all this stuff around us is just temporary, and it really is not ours, then it to recognize that it brings us no hope is cause for rejoicing for then we can let go of the stuff and place our hope where it gives eternal reward. That is why the Israelites rejoiced when they gave their gold. They knew that they were exchanging their hope from gold that perishes to a hope that does not perish. They were moving their hope off of gold onto the One who is from eternity. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Proverbs 1
My father has been in heaven about 5 years now. I can no longer sit down and listen to his instruction, but then, I think we had longed passed that stage in life. Still it would be nice if we could sit down and talk again. But I suppose we will do that in the not too far distant future. After all at 60, I am much closer to the end of my life than to the beginning. Mom was less reluctant at ‘laying down the law’ than was Dad. I still remember her speeches about “You don’t have any godly reason to be out alone with a girl after 11:00 pm.” Of course, I am now long out of that stage of life as well. Mom doesn’t lay down the law any more. That ended when I married and started my own home. But even now I feel on occasion that I need to sit down and hear the instruction of my father or the law of my mother.
While I was not perfect in listening to their instruction and law, I certainly can attest that following what they said has resulted in being a “graceful ornament” on my head and “chains” (of the jewelry type) about my neck. As a pastor, I have also seen this principle in others. While there are exceptions, there is normally a definite correlation between the grace with which people go through life and the overall way in which they responded to the instruction and law of their parents. What does this have to do with the glory of the Lord? We learn to obey the instruction and law of the Lord by the way we learn to obey the instruction and law of our parents. But I never grow out of the stage of needing to listen to Him. That is why fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I have learned that listening to Him allows me to dwell safe and secure and without fear of evil. It is my job to listen to Him. It is His job to provide safety and security. Listening to Him produces greater glory for Him.
I am reminded of the report found in the Martyrdom. In his old age Polycarp was commanded by a Roman authority to renounce the name of Jesus and worship the Emperor. In return he was promised to be able to live the rest of his life in peace. He is reported to have responded, "Eighty and six years I have served him, how then can I blaspheme my King and Savior? Bring forth what thou wilt." He was then burned at the stake. After 86 years of earthly security, he entered into the eternal security and peace of our Lord. Lord enable me to listen to your instruction and Your law. Be a graceful ornament on our heads and a beautiful chain on our necks! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

ZECHARIAH 13
I stood on the sidelines and watched my son’s football game. I was amazed at the coach. Troy had played five years as a professional football player. So, obviously he knew what he was doing. What has always amazed me most, though, was how these coaches almost always knew what play the other team was about to run. It certainly was true of Troy. I remember hearing him warn the defensive end and people on the nearside, “They are going to run a sweep to your side!” Sure enough they ran it to their side. Time and time throughout the game, he would warn them about the play the other team was going to run, and time and time again, they would run it. It did not seem to make much difference to our guys. They seemed to get blown away each time. How much more could a coach have prepared them? I‘m glad I wasn’t coaching. I would have been extremely frustrated.
Both Matthew and Mark record Jesus as quoting Zech 13:7 to the disciples as they walked together on the way to the Mount of Olives on the night on which He was betrayed. He always knew what was happening. He made sure that He communicated what was happening to His disciples when they needed to know what was happening. Like a coach who knew what the play of the opponent, He knew what the next step was, and He warned His disciples, “Hey guys, this is the crucifixion play we discussed. It’s going to happen now! Get ready! You’re about to be swept away.” The warning didn’t seem to sink in. They didn’t get it. They were swept away.
He does the same for us. He gives us general instruction about life and expects us to prepare accordingly. Then during the play, at the appropriate moment when we need His instruction, He gives it. He is constantly warning us. Like the disciples, we are usually too dumbfounded to really get it. We get swept away and scattered. But He is a good coach. He calls us back into the huddle and His Holy Spirit begins to prepare and empower us for the next play. Sometimes He says, “Okay John, this is the crucifixion play. You need to die to self and sin and let me live in you, or you will be swept away.” What I need to do is listen and yield to Him. If I die, I live. If I insist on living, I am swept away. Now that is something to praise Him for and about. Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

2 Peter 3
"Gentle Jesus meek and mild," so goes a child's prayer, which I never learned fully. It is true Jesus is gentle. Gentleness is strength under control. He certainly is that. He is meek. Meekness is patient and submissive. Jesus is certainly patient, and He was completely submissive to the Father's will. He is mild. Mildness is being gentle and kind in disposition, action or effect; not severe, harsh, etc. Most of the time, Jesus exhibited mildness. But the total effect of the saying leaves a somewhat uncomfortable feeling with me in describing Jesus. In the appropriate situation, He is those things. But that does not describe Him all of the time. It's kind of like in C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, someone asks if Aslan is safe. The response is something to the effect of, "He is not safe! But He is good!"
The unbridled, unveiled glory of Jesus would rip us apart. One day, the Day of the Lord, the Lord's glory will be unveiled. When that happens the heavens will pass away with at great noise, the elements will melt and the earth will be burnt up. Out of that violent ripping, He will create new heavens and a new earth. In that newness righteousness will dwell. Right now, anyone with half a brain can see that righteousness does not dwell here. Somehow, when I think of the destruction that we bring upon each other on this earth, I just cannot imagine that unrighteousness being effectively and ultimately dealt with by someone who is gentle, meek and mild. How can unrepentant evil be dealt with gently? It just cannot! We will see a new aspect of His glory, the just, wrathful and awe-full re-creation of His universe. Evil will be once and for all dealt with. In the meantime, He is gentle, meek and mild. He is patient waiting for all to come to repentance, not desiring that any should perish. But one day His patience will come to an end. Those of us who are found in His peace, without spot and blemish (those who have experienced the power of the cross and resurrection) will see His glory unbridled and unveiled. And we shall actually survive it by His grace and glory!
One last thing from this passage--it says we can look for and hasten that coming day. How? We can hasten it by speaking the glory of Christ to one another and sharing the good news with those who have not heard. Remember Jesus said, "This Gospel shall be preached as a witness to all nations. Then the end shall come." He is waiting on His church, His bride, to finish the job. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment