Monday, November 16, 2015

November 16


1 Chronicles 7-8
Driving, or should I say parking, on the outer loop of Atlanta’s freeway system, the interchange was jammed. Six lanes were going north and there was no movement. Six lanes were going south, and there was no movement. It took me about an hour to get out of the interchange. I was overwhelmed with the huge number of people in the city. I have no love for cities. I would go there to minister if the Lord made it clear, but I need clear direction. I get overwhelmed by the masses of people. There are just too many individuals. I cannot take it all in!
Hmm. . . what can one say about genealogies? Why does God put these in the Bible? What do I care about whose son was who? Maybe that is part of the point. Because I am finite, I cannot appreciate the tedious genealogies. But God is not finite. Because he is infinite, He can truly value each individual that is mentioned. So, these genealogies teach us that our infinite God really does care about us as finite individuals. They teach me that I am important to Him. That is pretty amazing. The God who created the masses of people is not overwhelmed by the masses. He still can relate to each of us an individual. He is not overwhelmed. Wow! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Psalm 136
If you asked me to tell you what are the most striking attributes of our Lord’s glory, what would I tell you? Would I concentrate on the riches of His goodness? Would I emphasize that of all the gods, which I have worshipped, He alone exceeds or excels above all the others in His love for me? Would I talk about the great wonders he has performed in His provision for me? Would I talk about the beauties of the heavens that can now be even more fully seen through the Hubble telescope? Would I talk about the fantastic nuclear furnace which He created and placed a mere 150 million kilometers from us? Its radiant heat provides more than abundant energy to sustain our lives. Or could I refer to the reflective and gravitational power of the moon which he put in motion around us? Oh but then, I could become really personal and talk about the things which He has done in order to deliver me out of the bondage of sin. I could speak of the comfort of His leadership as He guides me through the wilderness, where I have often become stranded because of my sin. Would I talk about the wonderful relationships that He has given me, my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my church family, my friends? Would I speak of the marvelous way that He takes care of me financially? Would I speak of the way that He is my health? Yes I would, but with each one, I would echo with the Psalmist, “His mercy endures forever.” His mercy is greater than all those. Those are just icing on the cake! Thank You, Lord! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

ZEPHANIAH 3
Some years ago Laura’s mother was nearing her death. She was in the ICU at the hospital. That morning I read in my quiet time Zephaniah 1-3. I was struck by the iniquity of Judah and the promised judgment of the Lord, but then the Lord shifts gears and talks about how he would bring Judah back into the land in belief. Verse 17 says,
The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
That concept of the Lord of the Universe singing over us is really amazing to me. What tenderness, what love, what compassion is expressed in that act! I spent much time meditating on the fact that the God of the Universe would rejoice and sing over us. Later in the morning we went to visit Laura’s mother at the hospital.
As we sat there quietly next to her bed, Mrs. Mummery commented to Laura, “That is beautiful music you are singing; did John write it?”
Laura responded, “Mom, we are not singing. What do you hear?”
“Oh it is beautiful music! Did John write it?”
“Mom, tell me about the music you hear.”
“Oh it is beautiful! It is all about Jesus and God. Did John write it?”
Mrs. Mummery had never heard any of the songs I have written, nor am I aware that she knew if I had ever written a song. It was one of those rare moments where God clearly had spoken. I pulled out the Gideon Bible found in the hospital room and explained what I had read that morning and then read Zephaniah 3:17. Laura and I needed that encouragement from the Lord. Later that afternoon Mrs. Mummery stepped into eternity with the God of the Universe singing over her. Isn’t He incredible? Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

Hebrews 11:20-40
Jesus is the One who blessed Jacob and Esau, even though they both held Him in contempt. It was because Jesus allowed Jacob to wrestle with Him that Jacob learned to worship and bless others rather than to trip them up. It was because of Jesus that Joseph was able to remain faithful even when encountering tremendous hardship. It was because of Jesus that the mother of Moses could hide him and see him raised in Pharaoh’s household. It was because of Jesus that Moses could choose affliction with the people of God rather than the pleasure of Pharaoh’s household. It was Jesus who delivered the nation of Israel from the bondage of Egypt and across the Red Sea. It was Jesus who made the walls of Jericho fall after the people of God encircled it 7 days. It was Jesus who turned Rahab, the harlot, into a woman of faith and purity and one of His own ancestors. It was Jesus who delivered the judges, David and the Prophets. It is because of the glory of Jesus that many have endured affliction, destitution, torment. They all do this because they see, through the eyes of faith, Jesus. Focusing on His glory is so key in our motivation. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment