Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 14


LEVITICUS 18
Various sexual perversions and sins are addressed here. God’s people are to reflect His glory. If we are caught up in sexual perversion, we mar the image of His glory. The practices that are mentioned here are things that were practiced in Egypt and in the countries in which God was removing the people to give the land to Israel. Notice that verses 24 & 25 specifically state that it was because of these practices that God was removing them from the land. In general the practices included: various forms of incest, sexual impurity, child sacrifice, homosexuality, and bestiality. His glory is not found in these practices. But it is His glory to forgive them and restore those ensnared by them. Lord let us reflect Your glory by walking in purity and forgiving those ensnared by such sin. Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

PSALM 104
Light, what is it? The website Oracle Think Quest Education Foundation defines light as “simply a name for a range of electromagnetic radiation that can be detected by the human eye.” But what is electromagnetic radiation? At this point I begin to have difficulty grasping all of the concepts involved. But this I understand, God created the human eye and light. Both were created so that His creation might be able to know and understand the reality around them and to interact with it. While light has many more functions than revealing reality, in relation to the eye, light helps the brain of an organism understand reality. But light has more functions than that. The light from the sun brings life. Without sunlight we would die. It provides heat for our planet. It provides energy so that plants can do photosynthesis to convert light into food. The Psalmist says, “You are clothed with honor and majesty, Who cover Yourself with light as with a garment, Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain.”
Now on the one hand, God’s word is always scientifically accurate, but on the other hand, the main emphasis of a passage is not always the scientific import that the words project but the effect of the image that the words project. What does the image, “You cover Yourself with light as with a garment,” project in your spirit? Well, the first image that I get is brilliant terror. Then the science behind the word sends my mind reeling in several directions. The first is that in His presence, His light, reality is truly found. I live in the darkness of world that shade reality. What I often think is a true description of my world, I often later find to be skewed by my nature, my worldview and my enemy. All of these are contrary to His marvelous light. The second is that in His presence, His light, energy is created in my exhausted life. His light comes under my wings lifting me up to soar as the eagle. A third is that His light brings me emotional warmth. There is nothing better than basking in the sunlight on a cool day. So too, there is nothing better than basking in the light of His presence in the dinginess of this sinful world.
The Psalmist uses many other images as well, such as clouds and wind. As I write, there is a thunderstorm going on outside. Nothing provokes the image of raw power in me as does an electrical storm. A moment ago a sudden surge of wind swept through the window next to me. An electrical bolt accompanied by a shock of thunder boomed through the neighborhood. Was He riding by on His chariot? Was He walking on the wind? He is certainly an awesome God of power! His angels are ministers of fire. He created the foundations of the Earth! He sets the boundaries of the oceans! He keeps the water cycle, cycling! He keeps the food cycle going! In short He holds life together. Without Him, there is no life! This is His glory! The light of His glory lights up my life. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

ISAIAH 11-12 “All Things Bright and Beautiful, the Lord God Made them All” Perhaps you have sung the song before. On the one hand, I appreciate its sentiment. Although we live in a cursed world, it is still very beautiful indeed. It is so beautiful in fact that we usually don’t want to leave it. We cling to it. It feels like home. On the other hand, This world is full of dark and troublesome things. Indeed we do live in a sin cursed world. There are arachnids, insects and snakes whose bite can cause serious damage and even death. We are all aware of animals of prey which we don’t want to meet alone in the wild, such as lions and tigers and bears (oh my). Then there are a host of plants as well that can be dangerous to our existence if not producing annoying allergies. And then there are weather patterns that we cannot control that produce drought, flood, tornados, hurricanes etc. Add to these earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions. It does not seem that our Creator created a very safe world for us. We must keep in mind that we do live in a cursed creation. It is cursed because of our sin! In the words of Ken Ham could you imagine a song entitled, “All Things Bright and Beautiful, the Lord God Cursed them All?” How do these things reveal the glory of our Lord Jesus?
It is for the redemption of that cursed world that the Lord Jesus came. Today’s passage gives us a glimpse of how He shall change it when He returns to rule as the promised Messiah. He will take this mess and restore it to its original glorious state. Can you imagine a child playing with a cobra? Can you imagine the Palestinian and the Israeli living in peaceful coexistence? Can you imagine a calf and a lion lying down together to eat grass? Our Lord Jesus will do that. In the meantime He desires that we permit Him to uproot the sin in our own lives that he might reign supreme in our hearts. He desires the death of ourselves that He might live in us. He does it as we trust Him. Now that is glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

LUKE 12:32-59
Wal*Mart once had a bunch of shopping baskets lined up in the isle near the cash registers. They were full of clearance items. One basket had a bunch of toys marked $3.00. My first thought was, "I'd bet Liam might like something in there." My eyes landed on a Fantastic Four toy. My thought was, "Surely that toy is not $3.00!" I picked it up and took it over to the scanner. Sure enough, if it was $3.00, it hadn't made it into the computer yet. The computer price was more than I was willing to pay out of my budget. I was born with a sin nature, yet I desire to give things to my children. I enjoy making them happy. But I also am constrained by wise use of the money that God has given me over which He has made me a steward and by what is good for them. I put the toy back.
Jesus says that the Father desires to give us the Kingdom. He takes pleasure in it! He is absolutely good. Then why don't we have the entire kingdom right now? He is constrained only by His own goodness and by what is good for us. After Jesus says that the Father takes pleasure in giving to us the kingdom, He launches into a variety of things in which we are given responsibility. Do you suppose there is a connection between the Father's good pleasure to give us the kingdom, what is good for us and the responsibilities He lays upon us?
My three oldest children are in their twenties. I never gave any of them a car when they were living at home. Part of the reason was that I simply could not afford it. But then, my parents never gave me a car either. I remember buying my first car. It cost me something. I didn't take it lightly. I learned responsibility for taking care of it. I had it three months, and then it died. I sold it to a junk yard. I had acquaintances in high school whose parents gave them everything. One of them had a parent who gave him a brand new Z-28 for high school graduation. He wrecked in a high speed race within a year. I guess that he didn't know how to use it wisely. It really didn't mean anything to Him. It didn't cost him anything. If I had been able, I probably would never have given my children a car, when they were in their teens. They needed to learn some responsibility first. I am constrained not only by my lack of ability but also by my goodness and by what is good for them.
It is the pleasure of the Father and Jesus to give us the kingdom. They are constrained only by their goodness and what is good for us. What are the responsibilities that we have? First, we are to learn the inestimable value of the eternal kingdom by investing what we cannot keep of this earthly kingdom for the eternal kingdom. You will learn the value of the eternal kingdom and receive of that kingdom in direct proportion to what you are willing to invest right now. So many people make such an issue out of tithing. It is like they are tied to some magical percentage of 10%. It is like they have the mindset, "How much of this earthly kingdom can I keep for myself?" If we really understand this principle, our mindset is, "How much of this earthly kingdom, which I am going to lose anyway, can I invest in the eternal kingdom, which I will never lose? How much can I give away?"
Second, we are to be looking for the second coming of Jesus. If I really believe He is returning, I will be working to hasten His return. I will be seeking to build His kingdom now as opposed to just enjoying the kingdom of this earth.
Third, I will understand that building His kingdom will bring opposition from those who desire to build an earthly kingdom, perhaps even within your own family unit. We should always strive to be at peace with people but never at the cost of turning from Jesus.
This is the glory of Jesus. It is His pleasure and the Father's pleasure to give us the kingdom. But our ability to receive the eternal kingdom is in direct proportion to our focus upon Him. How much of His glory can we really see? Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment