Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 20


2 CHRONICLES 24
Thank God for godly mothers. I have one. My faith in the Lord is partly what it is because of her faith. Joash’s momma was from the South. She was from Beersheba. There is a general principle in Geographic theology found in the Bible that the southern Bible lands are associated with desert living. Yet it seems often that is in the desert that God reveals Himself. The northern Bible lands are green and lush. Yet it seems often in the abundance of the greenery and goods that God is lost. Joash’s momma was from Beersheba, about as far south as one would want to live in Israel. Farther south is habitable, but not desirable. Athaliah was from the north. It was more desirable to live there, but it was also where idol worship was more common. The godly influence of his mother Zibiah and the high priest Jehoiadah combined to fashion Joash as a king who sought the Lord until Jehoiadah died.
That was Joash’s problem. His faith was Jehoiadah’s faith, not his own faith. He had never come to learn for Himself the great glory of the Lord! So when Jehoiadah was gone, he listened to the people and became concerned for his own glory rather than the glory of the Lord. He was so enamored with his own glory that he could not handle the rebuke brought to him by Zechariah, his old mentor’s son. Surely Zechariah would have been like a step-brother or uncle to him. Yet, Joash killed Zechariah in defense of his own glory. Lord, help me keep my eyes on Your glory and not my own! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

PROVERBS 20
Many times I have declared something to the effect of, “This is where God is leading me,” only to find that while the first step was where He was leading me, subsequent steps force me elsewhere. Am I so dense that I do not properly hear the voice of my Lord? It could be. It could be that I am so disobedient that I am not in tune with His voice. Then again the proverb says, “24A man’s steps are of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way?” It is that old “sovereignty of God/free will of man” debate. How can man truly have free will if God is truly sovereign? How can God be truly sovereign if man has free will? I think I have heard most of the arguments on both sides. It is not an argument that is unique to Christianity. It is an argument that exists in all religions. I have never been satisfied with any answers that I have read. I simply have come to live with the tension that both are true.
I genuinely believe that I am free to decide. Yes, I understand that when I first chose to sin (whether in Adam or in my early childhood), I became enslaved to sin. To some degree, I lost the ability to choose, but never the less I chose Christ. Somehow Christ lets me do that. Yet somehow, He chose me first. Theologians have always struggled with how to explain it. Wesley talked of prevenient grace. Jonathan Edwards, of course, was embroiled in a debate over the issue that cost him a great deal. Both of these were men with intellect far greater than mine. If they cannot explain it, why should I think that I can explain it any better than they? I am not highly motivated to try to understand it. I simply declare, “God is sovereign, and I must choose. I can live with both.” Some of you may think that is a cop out. Maybe it is, but I don't care.
He sometimes directs me in one direction by using things or saying things that I do not fully grasp. That is part of the adventure. It is part of the challenge. If I want to partake, then I must stay at His side. Daily He unfolds a little bit more of His glory as I wait on Him to reveal a little more of Himself. He does it small increments so that I will stay at His side. I get into trouble when I get too far away. My steps are of the Lord. I really don’t know for sure where I will be tomorrow, or in a year. That is part of the adventure of experiencing His glory. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

REVELATION 11
The Mighty Angel of God sends his two witnesses to the earth to prophesy and call people to repentance. Armed with miracles, signs and wonders the witnesses preach but are opposed and then murdered by the beast. The beast, seeking to emphasize his triumph, leaves their dead bodies in the street for 3.5 days. For followers of the Lamb, it is a dark time. It looks like the beast has triumphed. Then God resurrects the witnesses in the presence of their enemies. All the world sees their new life, and then they are called to heaven. In heaven it is declared that the second woe is past, and the seventh angel sounds his trumpet. I cannot read this passage without Handel's Hallelujah Chorus coming to mind.
Loud voices begin to say, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!” That's fine for those in heaven who can hear the exultation and know the truth. But what about those people left on earth who want to follow the Lamb? All they have seen is His two witnesses destroyed, resurrected and then called back to heaven. They still have to live in the junk floating around them. Do they realize what is going on? This revelation is given to all who are in midst of hard times. Indeed His kingdom will one day rule over all others. To this revelation we must cling when times are rough and impossible.
The Lord God Almighty is described as the One who is and who was and who is to come. Five times a phrase similar to this is used in Revelation to describe God. John uses it in 1:4 to describe God. Jesus uses it in 1:8 to describe Himself. The four living creatures use it to describe the One seated upon the throne in 4:8. The twenty-four elders use it here to describe the Lord God Almighty. The angel of the waters uses it to describe the Lord God Almighty in 16:5. Each time it is used in a slightly different manner, but the phrase has the same basic meaning. He has great power. He was. He used the power to become flesh and deliver us from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light. His grace is ever flowing over us. He is. He is the one who rules in heaven right now while this junk is going on in our lives and on this earth. His mercy is constantly revealed giving people opportunity to repent. He is to come. His wrath will One day be revealed against those who will not repent. He will return, and then everything will be set straight.
Are you having a hard time hanging on? Focus on Him who was and is and is to come. We cannot lose that focus! He is our life! He is glorious! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment