Wednesday, August 13, 2014

August 13


1 SAMUEL 3
Why should God, who created a universe so expansive that we will never be able to explore it all, care to communicate with His creation, with us? Yet, He does communicate with us. Sometimes He communicates more often than other times. When Samuel was a boy, “the word of the LORD was rare in those days; there was no widespread revelation.” Why was the word of the LORD rare? In this case it was because of the wickedness of the priests, Eli and his sons. God’s usual means of communication is through a holy vessel. So, He raised up Samuel, and Samuel was not even a Levite. You know the Lord wants to communicate with and through us. The God who created this vast expansive universe, the God who is holy, the God who is all powerful desires to communicate with us. His desire to communicate with us indicates His love for us. Why does He love us? Because love is just who He is. Isn’t that something? Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

PSALM 43
Sometimes when you experience the rejection of a group of people, it feels like God has also rejected you. When you have been accused of motivations you did not have, of lack of production that really is not your responsibility, or even production that is ignored, you just want to scream out, “This is unjust! I did not have that motivation. That was not my responsibility! I did not cause that! I did produce this! Why can’t you see that!” In short, you want to be vindicated. You want God to stand up and declare the truth.
In four other Psalms the Psalmist cries out, “Vindicate me!” David had reason to scream that. He was steadfastly loyal to Saul. For his victories over the Philistines on Saul’s behalf, he was hunted as a criminal. Everyone was told that he was in rebellion against Saul. I am sure that he wanted to scream out:
But it was I who killed Goliath! I am the one sang and played the harp and lyre and lute and brought a soothing spirit to Saul. I have led Israel’s armies into battle and killed thousands of Israel’s enemies. I have brought increased security to Saul’s regime. I am Jonathan’s (Saul’s oldest son) best friend. I killed 200 Philistines in order to purchase Michal (Saul’s daughter) as my wife. I am Saul’s son-in-law! I have had opportunity to kill Saul with impunity. What do I need to do to demonstrate the loyalties of my motivations? What else can I do that shows I fulfill my responsibilities to Saul? What more do I need to produce to show that I am loyal?
In such situations only God can vindicate.
David felt rejected by the nation. He felt cast off by God. He asks for light and truth from God. Light enables us to see our surroundings. In the darkness of his downcast soul, David needed spiritual light to see the reality of his situation. He needed God’s truth to illuminate the emotional and mental darkness around him. He needed that light and truth to lead him into the very presence of God for it is in the presence of our Shepherd King that our downcast soul is set upright again. His presence gives us exceeding great joy. In His presence it doesn’t matter what our evil nation thinks; there is only One opinion that counts. That is His glory. When we experience the light and truth of His glory, everything else melts in His light. That is why seeing His light and truth and glory on a daily basis is so important. Only there are we truly vindicated. Only there can we find true joy and hope. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

EZEKIEL 12
I can remember it being done to me; I remember doing it with my children; now I hear my children doing it with my grandchildren. “I am going to count to three. If you don’t . . . , then you are going to . . .” Why do we always have to count to three? I mean why don’t they just obey at first command? Well nobody obeys until they believe it is the last resort. That is human nature. We are sinners. The parent wants to give the child a chance to change his/her mind. That is called repentance. Why does the parent give that chance? The parent’s desire is for obedience not punishment. Now I know that there are child raising “experts” who claim that is weak parenting, and they might have a good point. But I would point out that it is a technique that God uses with us. Hear what He says to the nation through Ezekiel in verse 28, “None of My words will be postponed any more, but the word which I speak will be done.” He has told them several times through Ezekiel, Jeremiah and other prophets what He was about to do. He has counted to three, and Israel does not repent. Does He hate Israel? No He loves them and wants them to pursue Him and know Him. God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. Why? Because of His great love. Now that is glory! But one day His patience does come to an end, and discipline or justice is served. Now that also is glory, but not the kind that I want to experience! Indeed, we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor john

ROMANS 13
The glory of Christ is seen in our obedience to our leaders. Paul wrote this when Nero was emperor. He was such a wicked man to submit to. But Jesus submitted to those who crucified Him. Our submission to our leaders reveals Christ’s glory to those around us. Only a passion for His glory can motivate us to this. Without this passion it is as though we are asleep. Without this passion it is as though we are walking in darkness. Without this passion we fall into the lusts of the flesh. We must put on this passion. We must put on Jesus! His glory is foremost! Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today!
--Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment