Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8


GENESIS 41 Where were you 13 years ago? In February of 1997 we were living on Oak Island, NC. We still owned property in Norman, OK, which we couldn’t sell. All of our capital was tied up in that property. Consequently, we were unable to purchase property in NC. It seemed like such a waste to keep pouring money into someone else’s rental. However, by May of 97 we realized that there was nothing we could do about it until the Oklahoma property sold. But through a series of unique circumstances, which we did not initiate, the Lord provided for us a home to purchase. Five years later we were finally able to sell our house in Norman. In 2007 the house, which we purchased in NC, burned down. It was a pretty amazing thing, which I really don’t have space to write about in this writing. However, the Lord was making it clear that it was time to move back to Oklahoma, which we did when we finally settled with the insurance company. Thirteen years is a long time. We lived a lot of life during that time. Can you imagine spending 13 years first as a slave and then in jail? To top it off, you were innocent of any crime worthy of slavery or jail. Wouldn’t it seem like a lot of life would have been wasted? Wouldn’t you be at least a little bit bitter? In verse 46 we learn that Joseph was now 30 years old. He was 17 when sold out by his brothers. Joseph had had his hope rise three times: 1. When he had risen to the top of Potiphar’s house, 2. When he had risen to a place of responsibility in jail, 3. When he thought that he might have a friend in Pharaoh’s court. Each time he probably felt abandoned when things did not happen as he expected. After being disappointed so many times, wouldn’t you wonder if God really was with you? But I think Joseph knew that God was with him. That is why he faithfully continued. You see there is not anything that we cannot endure when we know that God is with us. That is His glory. When we have His presence, we don’t have to have the comfortable house, the fast or luxurious cars, or even sumptuous meals. His presence is enough. Oh I don’t claim to be one who doesn’t want a comfortable house or sumptuous meals. I love to eat, and I like my house; however, looking back over the last 13 years, I can truthfully say, “His presence is sufficient for me.” Why? Because His glory is so great! I believe that is why Joseph was so faithful through those 13 years. The presence of the Almighty was all that he needed. Why? Because His glory is so great! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john * * Job 7 Sometimes our circumstances are so bad that it is almost impossible to cease focusing upon them in order to focus on our glorious Lord. Job is there. Man, these are powerful words which Job speaks to God: 19 How long? Will You not look away from me, And let me alone till I swallow my saliva? 20 Have I sinned? What have I done to You, O watcher of men? Why have You set me as Your target, So that I am a burden to myself? 21 Why then do You not pardon my transgression, And take away my iniquity? For now I will lie down in the dust, And You will seek me diligently, But I will no longer be. Have you ever felt like saying that to God? You are unusual if you haven’t. He felt like God was picking on him. It was so bad that it hurt even to swallow, and Job thought that it was God’s design. He felt as if the piercing gaze of God was upon him bringing him his misfortune. Notice that he thought that God was not forgiving, “Why don’t you pardon my transgression?” Many of us wrestle with the same issues. We live in the shadow of condemnation, never realizing that we can be free of condemnation. The circumstance may be the result of living in a fallen world but not our direct sin. But we can’t shake the condemnation. Hmmm… The truth is yes, the circumstance may be the result of our sin, but forgiveness is always obtainable if we will repent and believe. Job’s circumstance was not the direct result of his sin. Indeed, his circumstance was more a result of his righteousness than his sin. Our circumstance may or may not be the result of sin, but there is no reason to wallow in a feeling of condemnation. Our Lord is so glorious that he will forgive if we come to Him. We are still 35 chapters from the end, but when Job finally sees the glory of the Lord, he can only shut his mouth. The glory of the Lord was far greater than he could have ever imagined! It made his pain worth it all. Indeed we serve a glorious King! Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john * * Psalm 39 I still think I am young. Walking around Israel with my son makes me realize that I am getting toward the end of my life. He has much more stamina than I, or maybe I am much more out of shape, or maybe it is both. I pass mirrors, and I see an older man, and then I realize the older man is me. Where did the time go? My children were just born yesterday, but now they have children. How did that happen? Do the math. My oldest is now 32. Biologically, he is almost old enough to be a grandfather. That makes me biologically old enough to almost be a great-grandfather—unlikely but possible. How did the time slip away? Okay I am 57. If the average life span is 76, and I live just an average life, then I have finished 75% of my life. I am beginning the back stretch, if I get to finish it. “LORD, make me to know my end, And what is the measure of my days, That I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.” Fifty-seven is starting to get to be a long life, certainly well past the middle. To the Lord it is just a vapor. Vapors last for just a little time. He is from eternity. So what is the glory in that? To Him He sees me lying in a crib when I was born, playing marbles with my friends at recess in school, learning the ropes of a new school in junior high, trying to tame the awkwardness of high school, overcoming the challenges of college, rejoicing in finding a wonderful woman, struggling to provide for kids, now growing old. What have I done with my life? Life is just a vapor. What will last? Only that which brings glory to Him. What will the last quarter produce? Lord, let it be a fountain of glory for You! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john * * Matthew 24:29-51 There is an old joke told about the rivalry between OU and OSU. It seems OSU got a government grant to send a man to the moon. OU was jealous so they sent one of their engineers up to OSU to spy out their progress. The Sooner was recognized by the Cowboy and the spy plans were foiled. The Sooner said, "It doesn't matter anyway. We're raising enough money to outdo your project with our own project." The Cowboy replied, "What could possibly be better than sending a man to the moon?" "Oh, we're going to the sun." said the Sooner. "The sun! You'll burn up!" guffawed the Cowboy. The Sooner replied, "You stupid Cowboy. We've got it all figured out. We're going at night." One day the sun will no longer give its light. It is a physical impossibility by anything we currently understand. But the Lord will make it happen right before He returns. How will He do it? I have no idea. I only know that it shows His unbelievable power. He will come in His power and glory. He will come to claim what is His own, for those who also claim Him as their own. Few are preparing themselves for His return. Why? Because they do not really believe in His glory. If they did, they would drop everything else except that which would prepare them for His coming. The person focused on His glory does not abuse his fellow servants. The person focused on His glory does not put self pleasure before His pleasure. the person focus on His glory watches and longs for His return and works to hasten it. Why? Because they have glimpsed just a little of His glory and the long for more. They want Him to return. Indeed we serve a glorious serving King! Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment