Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 26

1 Samuel 18 “Praise the Lord!” was my comment to my teammate as I returned to the bench after the series of downs. It was the last game of the season of my senior year. I had never been a good football player. I had never even suited up before my senior year. The coach had let me start the first two home games. During both games, he yanked me out because of poor performance on the field. I rarely played after that. But this was the last game of the season. My best friend, who had sustained a mild injury in the previous game played both offense and defense. Coach wanted him to play just offense in order to preserve his strength during the game. So, I received the call to play his defensive spot. All week long I was praying that the Lord would allow me to play above my ability so as to bring glory to His name. The Lord answered that prayer. I played above my ability because of Him. When my teammates commented upon my play level, I had no other choice but to say, “Praise the Lord!” It was His doing. Assuming Saul reigned 40 years, assuming David was 30 when he became king upon the death of Saul, David was born in Saul’s 10th year as king. Assuming Jonathan was 15-18 years old when he began leading 1,000 men, assuming that was in Saul’s second year as king (see August 21, 1 Samuel 13), there is a 25-27 year age gap between Jonathan and David. Yet there was this natural friendship between Jonathan and David. Perhaps Jonathan saw something of himself in David. Maybe, like himself, he saw a 15-year-old who wasn’t afraid of overwhelming odds. David had the same kind of spirit as Jonathan. Jonathan was secure in his relationship with God. David was not a threat to him, but an encouragement. It was refreshing to see someone like himself who would trust God in the midst of overwhelming odds. What a contrast with Saul! Saul, for whatever reason was always insecure in his relationship with God. Maybe it was because his father was bent. Maybe it was a lack of self-confidence. After all Saul was the one found hiding in the baggage when it came time to anoint him king. One thing is certain; Saul had great difficulty in full obedience to the Lord. He couldn’t wait for Samuel, so he took it upon himself to lead in sacrifice. He couldn’t wait for the answer from the Lord via the priestly ephod, when Jonathan unexpectedly began the rout of the Philistines. He rashly made a vow when commanding his troops not to eat anything during the battle. This led to the soldiers eating blood (a clear violation of the law) when they finally had a break. He did not fulfill the command of the Lord when he defeated the Amalekites. He saved the best for himself, rather than destroying all. He teetered on leading the army into battle against the Philistines in the valley of Elah, and let 15-year-old (or less) David go fight the giant. Instead of rejoicing over the victory that God gave, he became jealous. What a contrast with Jonathan and David! So God sent a distressing spirit upon Saul. For some people it just doesn’t seem right for God to send an evil spirit upon someone. How can a good God send an evil spirit on someone? For an explanation better than I can give on that subject, go to this website: http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=1278 Saul was focused upon his own glory. Jonathan and David both understood the glory of God. Focusing upon His glory resulted obedient acts of valor when the occasion demanded it. Saul’s focusing upon himself resulted in disobedient acts of valor when the occasion demanded obedient acts. Oh by the way, after reviewing the game films of the last game, the coach told me, “If I knew you could play that position like that, you would have been there all year.” Well, that is the rub, I couldn’t play the position like that. I was playing above my ability. The Lord was teaching me to focus on His glory. When we do, He glorifies Himself, and lets us enjoy doing it with Him. Lord, may I always focus on your glory so that when the occasion demands it, I will walk with you in obedient acts which bring glory to Your name! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment