Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 2

Deuteronomy 6 Love is a many splendored thing. Wasn’t that the name of a song, or movie, or TV show? Whatever, it is indeed a true statement, if not extremely corny. Some friends and I were at breakfast this morning. One friend mentioned about another friend as to how devoted he is to his wife. He was right. We all talked about the good things our friend does for his wife. One commented that he didn’t think he had it in him to be that loving. Well, if the truth were known, none of us has it in us to be that loving. It takes a decision to trust Jesus for it. But when true love exists, it motivates us to do all kinds of things. How do we know that our friend is loving toward his wife? We know it by the things that he does for her. How do we know that God loves us? How did Israel know that God loved them? Well, he gave them freedom they did not fight for, land they did not earn, houses they did not build, furniture they did not craft, wells they did not dig, orchards and vineyards they did not plant. How do I know that God loves me? He loved me so much that He gave His only begotten Son so that I would not perish. In this is love, not that I loved God, but that He loved me and sent His Son to be the propitiation for my sins. But God demonstrates His own love toward me, in that while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me. No greater love has anyone had for me than this that He lay down his life for me and called me his friend. How does anyone else know that I love God? Is it not by what I do? Is it not in my obedience? Some strive to make a big deal out of obedience. But when they do are they not missing the point? Yes, we are to obey, but if I truly loved God, would I not obey? Is it possible to obey and not love? So, if I do not obey, then does it not stand to reason that my love is not strong enough to produce obedience? So, I am in a terrible fix! I am commanded to love Him, who has given me everything, yet my obedience, even my desire for obedience, displays that my strength to love falls woefully short. What shall I do? Will His awesome love span the distant void created by my pathetic attempts to love Him? Somehow I think that if He laid aside all in order to die for me, then His love will span the void as long as I will trust in, cling to and rely upon Him. That is His glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment