Friday, May 17, 2013

May 15

Numbers 24 “You are one of those people who makes it really hard for optometrists like me.” “What do you mean by that?” I asked. “I’ll bet that ten years ago, you had better than average eyesight.” “Yes, that is true.” “Well, you are used to having great eyesight, but now it is only average so you think something is wrong. And you want me to fix it.” “That is why I came in here.” “I can never make your eyes as good as they used to be. I can give you some trifocals that can help you at differing distances, reading, medium range and long range. Your long distance vision isn’t all that bad. Basically your eyes are just aging.” That conversation with my optometrist was about six years ago. I bought the glasses. My vision has regressed now such that I cannot read without glasses. Putting on glasses is like having my eyes opened. I cannot read anything without them. Balaam thought his eyes were opened. He was a seer. A seer would see visions which would then need to be interpreted to know the communication of God. Balaam was a dirty seer in the sense that his heart was not fully yielded to the Lord. He wanted the money Balak offered, yet because of the incident of the donkey, he was too frightened to pronounce the curse against Israel. Hoping to talk the Lord into changing his mind, he keeps coming back asking God what to say. Twice he sees that it pleases the Lord to bless Israel. Now he is ready to seek God again. He set his face to the wilderness, the place from which he thought Yahweh was coming. Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon him. Often I have heard it said, and even said it myself, “God can’t use a dirty vessel.” In this case the saying is not entirely accurate. He embarks upon a third series of oracles. He has a clear vision of the glory of Yahweh, and he has a clear vision of the coming glory of Israel. What he says is truth, yet his motive is all messed up! God is using him! He gives another famous prophecy that was still useful to the Magi fourteen hundred years later: Numbers 24:17 “I see Him, but not now; I behold Him, but not near; A Star shall come out of Jacob; A Scepter shall rise out of Israel, And batter the brow of Moab, And destroy all the sons of tumult. Fourteen hundred years later the Magi knew to follow a star that had appeared. How did they know? I think there were at least 4 reasons. First, Balaam was from northwest Mesopotamia, a region not too far from where the Magi came. It is quite possible that Balaam recorded this incident, or it was recorded by a disciple or descendant. Perhaps the Magi came across a copy of a scroll or clay tablet which recorded this. Second, Daniel was part of the caste of people from which the Magi came. I am sure that Daniel took the scriptures with him and left them for the Magi who followed him. The Magi would have had access to Numbers 24:17. Additionally, they would have had access to Daniel’s prophecy, and would know that it would be about time for the birth of the Messiah. Third, the Holy Spirit would probably have guided their desires and interest in studies in order to lead them to the right conclusions. Fourth, the Magi were astronomers and knew that this special appearance of a different star had meaning. The unrighteous Balaam was the first to predict the star as part of the blessing that Israel would be for the whole world. How could God use such a dirty man? Well, if we don’t praise Him, He can make rocks do it. He prefers clean hearts and clean hands, but if they are not clean, He still accomplishes His purpose. His glory cannot be sullied by our sin! That brings me hope and a warning at the same time. God can use me even when I am dirty, but He would prefer to use me clean. Revelation 2:14 indicates that Balaam was responsible for the events of Numbers 25: But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. Balaam was so close to God, yet so far! I like what Matthew Henry says of him: That he saw the vision of the Almighty, but not so as to be changed into the same image. He calls God the Most High, and the Almighty; no man could speak more honorably of him, nor seem to put a greater value upon his acquaintance with him, and yet he had no true fear of him, love to him, or faith in him, so far may a man go towards heaven, and yet come short. May I never be like him, gazing upon His glory but never fully embracing it, used powerfully by Him but never finding true power, aware of the purity of God yet filled with impurity. In the end, Balaam saw the glory of God but never truly experienced it. Yes God can use a dirty vessel but how sad for that vessel! O Lord, let me not only see your glory, but let your glory cleanse me inside and out that I may personally experience Your transforming power! May the opening of my spiritual eyes lead me to a deeper walk with You! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment