Friday, March 22, 2013

March 18

Exodus 29 “Give me your stick!” I realized I had broken the rule. Dutifully I took off the stick and handed it to him. He carved a notch in it and handed it back to me. I was going through an initiation ceremony of an honor organization. During the weekend initiation we were not allowed to talk and were employed in many acts of service. The idea was to teach us the value of reflection and service. If any of the older members heard you talking, then they would ask for your stick and carve a notch on it. Presumably if you had more than three notches, then you would fail the initiation and not be able to become a member. The whole weekend was full of service and ceremony. The ceremony was rich with symbolism. The point was to teach us to be servants. Here we have the instruction for the initiation ceremony or ordination ceremony of the High Priest, his sons, the tabernacle and its furnishings. But what is the point? The point is to speak to the people concerning learning how to dwell with God. As it says in verses 45 & 46:
45 I will dwell among the children of Israel and will be their God. 46 And they shall know that I am the LORD their God, who brought them up out of the land of Egypt, that I may dwell among them. I am the LORD their God.
The ceremony is rich with symbolism, especially concerning our Lord Jesus. The truth behind those symbols is meant to lead us into dwelling in a loving relationship with the Almighty. Remember, the book of Hebrews instructs us that Jesus is our High Priest, and these things recorded in Exodus are shadows of a heavenly reality. We don’t have space in a devotional to discuss the minute symbolism found here, but I would like to address the blood applied to the priests’ right ear, right thumb and right big toe. Jesus said that He only did what He saw the Father doing (John 5:17-22). Vision is a form of communication. I watch my grandchildren as they are growing. One of the many things that I have noticed is how intently as babies that they watch what is going on around them. They are aware and mimic what adults do even before they are speaking words. Facial expressions of emotion are learned and communicated long before they can form the words, but they are listening at the same time. When Moses was instructed to put blood on the ear of the priest, it was a picture of his primary responsibility to watch and listen to what the Father does and says, so that it may be repeated back to the people and the dwelling relationship may be enhanced. The right thumb was to be anointed with blood. The thumb is a marvel in the design of the human hand. Can you imagine how much more difficult it would be to grasp and carry things without an opposable thumb? Once I was playing tennis and fell. Stretching out my hand to break my fall, I injured my left hand. I thought that I had just badly bruised it, but after a week of no improvement, I had an orthopedic surgeon examine it. The x-rays revealed that I had broken a little bone in the bottom of the palm of my hand. One of the tendons to the thumb attached to that bone. That anchor is what makes possible the ability of the thumb to grasp something and pick it up while the palm is face down to the ground. The thumb had to be immobilized in order for the bone to heal properly. For 7 or 8 weeks, I could not use my thumb. I learned how difficult it is to pick things up without a thumb. The anointing of the thumb was a symbol of the work of the priest to enable the people dwell with God. The right big toe was to be anointed with blood. The big toe plays a large role in walking and balance. People who lose their big toe often have to re-learn how to walk. The balance and ability just isn’t the same. Without it mobility is impaired. The anointing of the toe was a symbol that wherever the priest walked, he was to bring people to the place where they might dwell with God. How does this relate to the glory of Jesus? Of course Jesus is our real High Priest. His sacrifice was Himself, His own flesh and blood. He went through the cross so that we might learn how to dwell with God. It requires of us ears that listen, hands that grasp and work and feet that go at His bidding. Jesus has already done all of that for us! Now by His blood, He lives in us so that we too can hear and see what the Father is doing. With Him in us we can be His hands to grasp the work that He has sent us to do. With Him in us we can be mobile to go wherever He sends bringing His mercy, grace, love and life giving water to the spiritually parched and lonely. He teaches and enables us to reflect, listen, do and go. Now that is glory! Indeed we serve a glorious King. Speak His glory to someone today! --Pastor john

No comments:

Post a Comment